L5 cam

Morini related only please
72degrees

Re: L5 cam

Post by 72degrees »

leos wrote:Thanks Alan. Did contact them and they charge 170 euros for a reshape of a Touring or Sport cam shaft.
So did I, but isn't there a suggestion somewhere that their regrind results in a high lift Sport timing cam rather than an L5? Did they confirm the finished timing ?
leos

Post by leos »

I did not talk about the timing till now. I have to dismantle my engine and sent the cam shaft to them. I assumed it would be a 2+2 with the 6.6 mm lift of the inlet valve not a L5 cam which is a sports like cam with a higher lift.
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

I have an L-5 "reground" I got from EVguru that I never installed that I might part with to be used for a good use…..PM me . I haven't used it because I think it has just too much overlap for my supercharged engine…

Robert in California
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

smotorboy wrote:I have an L-5 "reground" I got from EVguru that I never installed that I might part with to be used for a good use…..PM me . I haven't used it because I think it has just too much overlap for my supercharged engine…

Robert in California
PM'ed.

It would go in something a bit like this:
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Lift values and timing figures are only half the story.

It's all about how much gas can flow through the valve whilst it's open.

Some tests of a 500 head have shown that there is little or no increase in flow after the inlet valve has reached around 6mm, so extra lift is only an advantage if it also allows the valve to be open for longer.

Two cams can have the same lift and timing figures, but different lobe shapes.

Before I have any cams ground, I want to know what I'm selling.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Indeed. Phil Irving's "Tuning for Speed" advises (p14 in my edition) that I 35/60 E 65/30 is a good starting point if the lift is slightly greater than one quarter of the port diameter (with provisos on cylinder capacity, valve size ,and also steepness of contours on p162). I know this was back in the days of 7R AJS 350 singles and not Heron Heads but it's not totally irrelevant.

I certainly need something with more dwell and overlap than the Strada cam I have now. The first hill climber I built in 1981 had a Strada cam and Sport pistons and it went OK, but not as well as it did with a 2+2 or now with the L5. The cases of the project 350 engine are apart and the crank out now and I'm hoping to have the Forgotten Era MkII project ready for late March, so needs must..
leos

Post by leos »

Looks nice. I'm racing mine in the Dutch and Belgian championships. So an big overlap won't be a problem as it is reving above the 6000 rpm anyway. The guys racing Morinis in Belgium all use 2+2 cams so i will be trying it as well for the coming season. Will enlarge the carbs to 30 mm and have a new exhaust being build. Weight is down to 117 kg and still decreasing. Used to race a Ducati single but that's becoming too expensive. Read an article about CFM which says that the highest CFM is not the holy grail of tuning. (my words)
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

There is a graph of lift vs degree for all the different cams in the next [Christmas] issue of ATG...

David
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

.... which is only available for those Members who have already renewed (or who pay extra to get it, as there may be a couple spare), as the copy is at the Printers and the up to date Membership List has already been sent...

Good reading / riding

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
leos

Post by leos »

Here is a link to someone selling reshaped L5 Cams from Germany. He charges 199 euros for it. Hope it is useful for someone ;-)

http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anze ... 31-306-985
123morini

Post by 123morini »

Hello Leos ,

we met at Chimay and had a chat about the camshafts .

On my race bike I tried first a L 5 . With the L 5 the engine started to loose power at around 8000 revs . After I use a 2+2 camshaft and than the engine work better . Now we have power from 6000 to 10500 revs .
Now go to the 2+2 cams the complète timing is ; Inlet duration 324 degrees , exhaust duration also 324 degrees , inlet cam lift 6,50mm ,exhaust cam lift 5,83mm , lobe center angle 100 degrees .
I tried a other camshaft with inlet duration 332 degrees cam lift 7,2mm , exhaust duration 324 degrees cam lift 6,5mm and lobe center angle 103 degrees . But this cams w'ont worked realy well and than I came back to the 2+2 .
I also tried diferent way to adjust the cams and the best (for me) is on front cylinder I mesure the exact position of the center lobe (normaly 100 degrees) and I divide the result by 2 (50 degrees) than I clamp the cams . After that still on the front cylinder I turn the cranckshaft to the exact top deaf center . I adjust the belt with the vernier pignon (on cranckchaft) when it is ok I fit the belt . After this job d'ont forget to check the gap between the valve and the piston , never get under 1mm . The way I use to control the gap is I adjust the rocker to have no clearence on the valve . After that I insert a blade of 1mm between the rocker and the valve and I turn slowly the cranckshaft at least twoo complete turn . I you feel that something touch stop and check .

Christian .
123morini

Post by 123morini »

Hi ,

I forgot to tell that in the past I ordered 5 new 2+2 camfafts at Newman cams in GB .They were good quality but expensif .

If you order at Newman cams it is caled L5 .

Christian .
leos

Post by leos »

Hello Christian,
I did receive the regrind cam from Ducati Development Dortmund. Because my donor cam was a strada they made it a 6,25 mm lift on the inlet. On my flow bench it looks to be high enough not to block the flow anymore. Making the head suited for 30 mm carbs by replacing the metal insert in the head and having an new exhaust system being build we hope to get a bit more power as the 25.7 hp we did have on the dyno last run. We will be using x block head to adjust and not yet the x block cylinders for now. We did replace the right hand side bearing and are looking for a straight cut primary drive sprocket set. We will meet again, may be already at Croix and certainly at Chimay.
Regards,
Leo
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

NLM have straight cut primary gears.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
leos

Post by leos »

Yes, i know. I've seen it on there site. They charge quit an amount of money for it. I'm looking if i can buy one in Germany for a bit less. I'm not saying it is too expensive but still it not cheap ;-)