ignition 1981 350 sport

Morini related only please
BanjoKen

ignition 1981 350 sport

Post by BanjoKen »

could someone please explain to me the ignition switch positions . I can start bike without turning ign on. the green wire going to switch has a diode in series, wot is the function of this wire please.
any help welcome. Thanks Hillbilly.
Ming

Re: ignition 1981 350 sport

Post by Ming »

On my 1976 Strada there are three positions. Off (key comes out) Ign On (key retained) Ign and Lights On (key retained). The diode is to prevent any chance of a 12V feed back to the transducers (= no transducers) via the exciter input - the ignition off position should short the green lead to earth so if you can start the engine in the off position I would look for an open connection somewhere on the green (or the switch) or maybe an open circuit diode.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I can start Rocinante without any key since 18 years, and I´m very pleased with that :lol: I allways stop the motor with the on/off switch at the handlebar.

It´s like Ming told, have a look at the green cable from the switch to the central electric. If it´s interrupted, you don´t need no key to start the motor kicking (to get it off is one of the things you have to do when you don´t have no spark, to see wether the fault is in the switch)

norbert
BanjoKen

Post by BanjoKen »

Thank you all for your replies. So am I right in thinking that with the ign turned off the green wire is going to earth through the Ign switch. If so then it must be a open circuit in the diode, for me being able to start with switch in off position. Hope that is problem sorted with a new diode. Thanks again for your helpful replies.
Hillbilly.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

BanjoKen wrote:Thank you all for your replies. So am I right in thinking that with the ign turned off the green wire is going to earth through the Ign switch. If so then it must be a open circuit in the diode, for me being able to start with switch in off position. Hope that is problem sorted with a new diode. Thanks again for your helpful replies.
Hillbilly.
Yes, that's right. As well as the diode you could find the circuit open further back. E.g. back to the fuse box where the green wire branches off to to the kill switch and the ignition transducers.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.