Camel mk 1/2 flywheel for exchange

Morini related only please
Haboola72

Camel mk 1/2 flywheel for exchange

Post by Haboola72 »

Will swap my rare Camel Mk 1 /2 flywheel for Kanguro/Camel/x3 flywheel.

Good condition , strong magnets.

If the annular starter ring is damaged on X3 flywheel, no problem, it's coming off anyway!
Photos on request PM me.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Camel mk 1/2 flywheel for exchange

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I'm interested in the reason/s you wish to swap flywheels; is there a difference apart from the weight and the starter ring?

Thanks, Ian
Haboola72

Post by Haboola72 »

Thanks for your post Ian,
no dimensional differences between the flywheels.

WEIGHTS:
501 CAMEL x3 electric start flywheel: 1.92k
CAMEL 1ST/2ND series flywheel: 2.58k

Kanguro x3 electric start flywheel with starter ring removed: 1.48k

Yesterday I managed to get hold of a Kanguro x3 flywheel with the ring removed , it hasn't arrived yet and when it does I need to check it's properly balanced.

Looking at the weights , I guess the lighter flywheel with ring makes for easier electric starting , and the heavier flywheel makes the engine spin freely at idle without stalling when off-roading!

I took it off road this afternoon with the heavier camel flywheel installed and it was much more tractable ..

I'll PM you when the kanguro flywheel arrives.
Pete
'It must be a .....'

Hi, I was pretty certain the internal dimensions were the same, but always thought the 500 Camel's flywheel was the lightest and was certainly lighter than the flywheel from a 500 5 speed (with the starter ring removed).

I have just weighed a Mk1 Camel 500 flywheel: 1.59 kg
and a Kanguro flywheel with stater ring; 1.91 kg

I still have the 500 5 speed flywheel somewhere, I'll dig it out and weight that too; I got a friend to remove the starter ring on his lathe to avoid disturbing the rivets and the balance.
Haboola72

Post by Haboola72 »

Ian,
weigh the 500 flywheel, it will probably match the 2.58k I mentioned... if you're right about the camel 1 FW weight then I've been done ! I have a 501 Camel (11) so I have no point of reference..
All this weight paring is a bit obsessive but it keeps me busy! Short of drilling and lightening camshaft pulleys and primary drive, the easiest way to lose a bit of engine weight is to bin the electric start crankcase cover which weighs a whopping 1.92k and replace it with a cut down non ES cover, only 0.60k. This of course means matching it with the right flywheel !
I'd like to preserve all the original ES bits on the Camel X2 otherwise I'd be hacking off the starter ring,
That's about it .
Time to edit the 'for sale' post then, unless you're interested in a flywheel with real heft !
'It must be a .....'

Hi Pete,
Sorry I couldn't find the 500 flywheel, must have put it somewhere odd but haven't given up the quest.

I did weigh another Camel 500 MK2 (1a) flywheel and it is the same weight as the Mk1. they both have the same number on the inside: 3157984.
The Kanguro flywheel with the starter ring is: 3157985.

Ian