350cc Engine Parts

Morini related only please
Tom

350cc Engine Parts

Post by Tom »

Heads, one with insufficient thread, rest good. The other has undergone an experiment with liquid aluminium thread casting, but needs an new thread insert/ helicoil afterall, rest good! 20 Euro's for one

Shipment to the UK: 12 GBP

tomros@live.nl

the Netherlands
Last edited by Tom on 05 Feb 2020 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
harrymuffin

Re: 350cc Engine Parts

Post by harrymuffin »

Left hand crankcase oil mod is well worth it. If I had not done all of my own, I would have bought this one from you. Only diference is the feed back to the crankshaft are through boses on top of the crancase rather than through the side. You are not asking enough when you consider how much longer the big ends will last.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Tom, I am keen to buy the left hand cases. That is if it would fit a 500, which I think it would. A very good mod for the Camel, I think. Will pm you as well.
Cheers.
Can anyone show where the filter would sit and what type ?
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

This is how I fitted the external filter. I profiled a 1/8" drilled the relevent holes, bent and added fillets fo strength, tunred up a mounting with a threaded union for the filter to screw onto. Make sure you connect up the pipe work, the oil feed into the outside of the filter and returns through the centre of the filter. I connected up the wrong way roind and the filter exploded. I also have a pressure switch feeding a blinkijng LED which is set up after about 2 mins to ensure the engine is warm before opening up, `i also have a gauge, oil presuure when cold around 75-80psi dropping to 60ish psi once hot, both at tick over 1400revs hot at 4000 rpm 65ish psi, so the relief valve is working. The filter is the smallest I could find which is from a Vauxhaul Corse about 21/2" in diameter. The other standard 500 I had with this set up had done about 25000miles. You can if you wish mount a bash plate in front of the filter.
There was an article on the Dutch club in the last century, where the bloke had managed to mount his filter horizontally between the down tubes, but I think this was an early 350. Hope this is of help and it is a well worth modification unless you are an anorak.

P1030856.JPG
P1030856.JPG (176.28 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I must say Tom, it looks like a gas fitter has done the mod. I have elbows like that on my gas cooker! Is it 1/2" BSP thread? :)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote:I must say Tom, it looks like a gas fitter has done the mod. I have elbows like that on my gas cooker! Is it 1/2" BSP thread? :)
:lol: and I think the anorak will come in handy after the plumbers nightmare has been wiped off by a deep rut when out trail riding!
Seriously, I love a proper filter as much as the next anorak but I've never seen a neat way, or less vulnerable way of doing this on a Morini. OK for a road bike the risks are negligible, but a trail bike? You'll need bigger sump guard!
The oil is cheap enough, even the posh full synthetic stuff, to just change it regularly.
I'll get me coat. Sorry-anorak.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi all

I think the mod was made by the well known Belgium Morini dealer Enzo on a 350 Kangaroo. He might also have fitted the L5 camshaft that's in the engine, so i guess his intensions were to race the Kanguro off road with this configuration. When i bought the Kanguro it had been standing outside for a while and the pistons were stuck because water had entered the heads (no filter can help against such behavior i guess) The bike was already taken apart so no pictures of the finished result unfortunately. I will use the base of the engine to built it into my 350 Valentini replica. It would be much more Valentini like with the hot camshaft then using the stock M camshaft (of the K2 engine that's in now).

You are right Ross, the side cover of the 350 is the same as the 500.

As for the 'plumbing job', i agree that changing the oil on a regular base helps, so start with that :wink:

To early on a Sunday's for me to reply on the plumbing bit, but where i do have an opinion about is looking on the overall external oil filter mod and looking at a lot of especially German Morini Riders who use it, and from my part of the story having experience with broken engines:

if you look at other (Italian) bikes of that era, the Morini is a bit under filtered (considering the fact that the main plain bearing obviously need clean oil to function well as do other sorts of bearings), and also the way the drain plug has been designed, keeping the engine clean inside is not such an easy job as with Aermacchi's, Benelli's and especially Moto Guzzi's of that era for example. I think the extra oil filters are really worth the plumbing but, although they look a bit awkward.

I would say, if you are into plumbing and you understand the way how these engines work (shut off the original oil flow, to force the oil into the external filter) then you could improve reliability a little. Of course the cooling advantage is not an issue with these little v-twins.

Maybe it will make such a mod of my own when rebuilding my 501 Camel engine, which broke down this summer due to lack of oil in the plain bearing. The engine had been rebuilt before (although i did not do it myself) and i did changed the Castrol oil on a regular base :roll:
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Still interested in buying. I'm not into riding it in extreme single track. More trail riding. Longevity I am interested in. Plumbing nicely can be accomplished I think. Having just rebuilt the heads and new piston and rings, I would like to not have to open it up for some time to do big ends etc.