Camel 1 help wanted

Tom

Camel 1 help wanted

Post by Tom »

I am looking for the black plastic console/ speedo holder that goes on top of/ over the headlight of the Camel 1.

I have one, but it is in to bad condition to make a replica out of it.

And, i need a new rear fender 'Stilmotor', they aren't available from OLD CROSS. COM any more.

Last but not least, a set of 500 CAMEL stickers for the sidepanels, the ones in red.

These are the final parts i need to start the restauration of this sleeping beauty, so any help would be very welcome!

tomros@live.nl
Last edited by Tom on 17 Oct 2017 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Camel 1 help wanted

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Tom, try the following:

http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/?s=Mo ... e=transfer

Mk1 Camels have Stilmotor A203 front & A223 rear. CPF France (Moto Matcho) made exact copies; CP101 front & CP103 rear

http://www.enduroklassiker.at/en/suche? ... it_search=

Sorry can't help with the console/ speedo holder, mine isn't that great either. I think most people who bought Mk1 Camels new and used them off road removed/changed the speedo/lights console.
They look like they are vacuum moulded? so with a mould/buck they wouldn't be expensive to replicate, the other alternative is using
fibreglass, but again a mould is needed: how bad is the condition of yours?
Ming

Post by Ming »

I've had good results in rebuilding a smashed console using Q Bond (cyanoacrilic glue plus a filler powder). It's not expensive, easy to make a mould for missing parts but very quick-setting, so don't try to do it all in one go. It's also quite hard to file off any excess.
Tom

Re: Camel 1 help/swap wanted

Post by Tom »

Thanks guys for the help, the stickers i didn't know of, so will order a set of those, thank you very much!

I saw the Stilmotors at Horvath site, but they are the wrong color, and i know they were also made in white, old cross from Italy sold those a couple of years ago. Would be an option to buy one of the multicolored and then respray them in white, how difficult could that be?

Yes, the console. Well mine is not broken, but in some mysterious way, melted a bit. I can try to make a mold of some liquid gypsum/plaster out of it, but from there i will have to remold it and then, yes i totally agree, vacuum press it with 3 mm black plate which will be UV resistant in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cacr1WeKOzY

This is a project i have in mind if this quest will not succeed.

In the end i will have to sell this very unique example since i already have a camel one and 501 Camel.

If somebody is already interested, maybe swapping another (very) interesting Italian or British bike, please let me know!

tomros@live.nl
Last edited by Tom on 17 Oct 2017 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
huub

Post by huub »

i bought the new fenders for my camel from oldcross.com
you might want to drop them a email
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sold out.
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Tom,

I'd like to get some original Stilmotor guards in white too.

I have no idea what the process would be (vacuum forming?) but if there was enough interest could we get some made? I have a pair of brand new Stilmotor guards in a crazy shade of green, which could be used as patterns.

Possible?

Hugo
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Why not make fibre glass female molds then lay up as many as you want using a white gel coat and white pigment for the lay up. The top surface would be as taken from the original mudguard and to finish the underneath use a film coat so you cannot tell it is fibre glass. I made copies of all the plastic bodywork of my bikes after having one of my bikes pinched and trashed just in case, includes two types of seat bases and two types of side panels.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Guys,

Well, why not just paint the fenders in white, if they are available in other colors?
I mean, there is a lot of work to do already, and working with polyester is quite expensive too!

As for the console, maybe i am asking for the unobtainium, in that case there is no other alternative then to do the work to get the job done, but there for i will need a good example of the console to make an mould for it. Then i can make them in plenty... if all works out. But in order to make a negative, or mould to vacuum form an end result, i think i will have to sacrifice a console in order to ge the job done?
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Is it true oldcross has the front guard no longer ? I need one.
Cheers.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

You'd best contact them direct Ross, this is quite an old post and the situation may well have changed by now.

On the subject of speedo/instrument cowl though, I am in contact with the guy who made my repro Camel side panels again. We want to try getting the instrument cowling copied in fibreglass. I know that won't be as desirable as a good plastic copy but if anyone is interested to know the outcome please let me know. I don't have any price yet but the side panels he did were excellent and very good value.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
huub

Post by huub »

'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Also try
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UFO-Vintage- ... rk:39:pf:0

MD racing Products UK are good for vintage enduro parts and worth contacting about white guards.
http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/ufo-u ... 13792.html
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

And the speedo cowls are now available in fibreglass with black satin finish. Also I have one spare as I over ordered! £45 plus post to anywhere.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Stilmotor A203 & A223 fenders in white are also available now!