Strada starter motor

Chips1953

Strada starter motor

Post by Chips1953 »

Starter motor for my Camel 501, together with ancillary equipment to make it work, wiring etc.
I am told the Stada starter is the answer.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Steve Brown

Re: Strada starter motor

Post by Steve Brown »

George, I think the starter set is all the same for the old type pre japanese electrics models. I just suggested strada as an example, so theoretically if any of them are possible then they all are-350 or 500. I wouldn't worry about the original wiring, it will all be very old by now and you can make a better job of it with new cables and connectors from somewhere like VWP.
I think it has been talked about if not done before, and the accurate central locating of the casing and mechanism on the old crankcase is the most important part. On the starter models the casing has alignment dowels to do this so I suppose some sort of jigging to allow the crankcase to be drilled for dowels is needed. There may be other small hurdles but I don't see why it can't be over come.
I know you are in the frozen north but I would be willing to help you if I can. It would be an interesting diversion! If they can be retro fitted it could be useful to a few of us as time marches on :roll:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Steve PM sent.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, it can be done if you have all the right parts. I think most 500/501 crankcases already have the recess for the dowels(2) so thats not a problem.
If your bike still has the 6v dc / 12v ac system you'll need to convert to 12v with a new stator (rewound? look on Dutch Morini site) and regulator rectifier as well as the bigger 12v battery.
Plus rotor with starter drum, starter motor complete, larger cover, 2 dowels/bolts, starter relay, switch gear etc.
You will have to modify the rear brake lever to clear the larger cover (the later electric start Camel has a different lever, master cylinder etc and frame mounting).

Meantime if you have problems kick starting a warm engine, try switching on the reserve tap to start as the vacuum tap (if fitted) can fail to open at kick start speeds due to vapor lock.

Hope this helps, have fun!
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

Hi, I have both types of starter for sale. I have a complete Newyork starter, engine case etc and a strada starter, case etc. If you are interested you can contact me through the forum.
Regards
Andy