Project Camel-parts wanted!

Steve Brown

Project Camel-parts wanted!

Post by Steve Brown »

Morning all, my Camel project is now moving forward as most of the major parts are now here. I do still need an exhaust system and fuel tank plus side panels for it.
Near here are a few very useful craftsmen who could possibly make such things but I need to supply patterns for them to work from. So, if you have an exhaust system that is fit to copy and also a fuel tank, both for Mk1 Camel, I would be very grateful if you would lend them to me! If you have a good exhaust system to sell then that would be even easier!
The tank may be remade in either alloy or steel and I would also be willing to use a standard 500 tank base and build on/copy that. I am aiming to give the bike the style of the Mk1 Camel, just 'cos I like that best. It won't however be a replica as it will feature electric starting and foot controls on the proper :) side for old geezers.
So if you have any of these parts, please get in touch. I'm hoping it will make things a little easier to rescue old Camels and give them a new lease of life and a happy, active old age on the trails. 8)
PM me with contact details and I'll get in touch with you at a time to suit you.
Many thanks, Steve.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
tomros

Re: Project Camel-parts wanted!

Post by tomros »

Hi

I have an Camel mk 1 tank (using the bigger Valentini right now) on the shelf, which i can lend you of course.

But i want i back!! :mrgreen:

Also Mk2 sidepanels which will fit your frame which you can remake, not a big thing if you are into to the polyester thing.

you have my email!

Tom
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

tomros wrote:Hi

I have an Camel mk 1 tank (using the bigger Valentini right now) on the shelf, which i can lend you of course.

But i want i back!! :mrgreen:

Also Mk2 sidepanels which will fit your frame which you can remake, not a big thing if you are into to the polyester thing.

you have my email!

Tom
Tom! I'll be in touch!
Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

Steve,

I'm an occasional visitor to the forum and you've forced me to register. Well done.

I'm about to start work on reviving a Mk1 Camel. You would be welcome to a short term loan of the parts that you need to copy. I'll also need a new silencer for mine, the original is fitted, but will blow itself into rusty pieces when the bike is started up, so maybe we can work together on that.

A few years ago I arranged for the side panels on my bike to be copied in glass fibre to assist with someone else's project. They ended up with a new pair of glass fibre side panels and the moulds to make more, but my understanding is that the bike has now been sold. Hopefully it would be possible to track them down.

I'll send you a PM.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Sheikh, I saw your PM first and have responded to that. Now I understand more...yes we must talk. I'm also in contact with another who is about to repro the side panels in fibreglass as a DIY project.
Thanks for your very kind offer of the loans too. As we are not more than 50 miles apart I'm sure we can come up with a plan to help us both and maybe a few others too. Maybe we can one day make a Camel train at Cadwell?
tomros

Post by tomros »

You will be in business regarding the sidepanels!

Tom
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hi all, the plastic parts are interesting since the dashboard and sidepanels are both quite rare ;)
I was talking to a friend to have them re-made with 3D-printing... to be continued!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

tomros wrote:You will be in business regarding the sidepanels!

Tom
Well there is someone else already working on those, I hope to try some of them too.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

hombre wrote:Hi all, the plastic parts are interesting since the dashboard and sidepanels are both quite rare ;)
I was talking to a friend to have them re-made with 3D-printing... to be continued!
They sound interesting too, though I am not planning standard there. I have a nice little electronic speedo ready for that and will going minimal with the rest, a set of indicators maybe but not much more. Does electric start count as minimal though? Already I'm talking rollox, must be the grappa.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sheikh

Post by Sheikh »

It really is your lucky day! Now buy a lottery ticket.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

lekker ook! Tom, thanks for that have been out all day and some good news was needed. I have sent the seller a message, just hope he still has them?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Sheikh wrote:It really is your lucky day! Now buy a lottery ticket.
You know what? I think I will! Have been chasing Camel stuff again this morning. Looks like I will be needing to borrow your pipes for a copy if it's still ok? Tomorrow I might actually get a chance to ring you at last!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Am in touch with the seller and keen to buy the pair. Does anyone in Germany (or anywhere else) know the seller? If so I could arrange a pick up maybe via one of my own visits or contacts in Germany.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

My new tank and seat arrived today, and I'm not disappointed! They are exactly as described, new and unused so I owe Tom Ros a big thank you for pointing the add out to me on a site I wasn't aware existed. Cheers! :D