Cast wheel spacer needed.

Ming

Cast wheel spacer needed.

Post by Ming »

Hello all, my Strada is now very close to being used (only taken 10 years to reassemble it!), but I find I have a problem with the front wheel spacer.
I have a spoked wheel spacer (43-07-10), but I have cast wheels so I need the slightly longer one (43-09-54) as the caliper binds with the one I have.
NLM don't appear to have any in stock so I'm looking for one to buy or swap. Any takers?
harrymuffin

Re: Cast wheel spacer needed.

Post by harrymuffin »

I will probably have one in my 'bright bits' cache, let me know what the one you have in length is and I will look through for a longer one. I know I have various spindles with various spacers on, so there should be one somewhere in the plated boxes.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I'm sure I have one from the Spanish Barn find 2C. Though having Paoili forks for the 250 not Marzocchi 350 it might possibly be a different length. I have put a cast wheel in it that was definitely from a 350 with the same type of spacer though. Having said that, on both my 2Cs I've resorted to shimming the caliper mountings (with old rocker shaft shims) to get perfect centralisation over the disk. I'll dig one out and measure it.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The two I have are (as measured by my cheap vernier gauge) 23.75 and 23.85 mm. Just plain, not shiny like Harrymuffins though so I should snap one of his up if of the right length. Checking the 2C parts list mine must be 43.09.54 type though, so should work.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks for the replies. The thick plottens...
I have a 250C2, so have looked at the one on that, it's 24mm long, whereas the 'spoked' one is 21mm. Further complication added by the fact that the 350 also has a 'spoked wheel' speedo drive and cover whereas the 250 (also cast wheels) has the larger diameter cover. Apart from the diameters (the larger one masking the disc bolts) they also appear to be of differing widths.
Up to now, I have not found a combination that looks to centralise the caliper, but I haven't tried them all yet.
Add in the fact that it's a '74 bike that has had some modification (Kanguro engine, 'Sportised' and now returned to Strada) and who knows what else has been modified?
So - I may be looking for a spacer, a speedo drive or both. Watch this space.
Ming

Post by Ming »

... all options tried, the two speedo drive covers are the same when checked on the bench, so it can only be down to the spacer. However, with the 250's spacer in, the problem moves to the inside of the caliper, with about 10 thou clearance between the caliper face and the disc and 60 thou between the caliper face and the disc (with the 'short spacer, the outer disc was rubbing on the outer caliper edge).
So it looks as if I need a cast wheel spacer ( or one that happens to be about 23.5mm long), and a large diameter speedo drive / cover, so that I can replace the ones nicked from the 250, plus a few shim washers to space the caliper inwards about 30 thou.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

What diameter is the speedo drive you need? I have one on the spindle that I found the two cast wheel spacers on. I'm guessing it's from the cast wheel 350 that formed the basis of the FE Mk1 and I eventually broke. If you have any old rocker shaft shims floating about I found they are just right for going on the caliper bolts.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Speedo drive is approx 120mm (it just covers the hub area of the wheel), I can still use the smaller one, but the larger looks better.
I have some shim washers on order. I will need a cast-wheel spacer though.
Ten years of a debilitating illness (now fixed!) sure have a lot to answer for...
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The speedo cover (with worm drive) I have is a 120mm. Probably the same as a 250 one though, so I ought to keep it as a spare for the 375/2C. I can't see me needing two extra spacers though, so PM me if Harrymuffin hasn't found one in his box of bright bits.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I now have a speedo drive cover of the right size (plus a few more goodies), so all I need for the moment is a cast wheel spacer. ie one that is 24mm long.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:I now have a speedo drive cover of the right size (plus a few more goodies), so all I need for the moment is a cast wheel spacer. ie one that is 24mm long.
PM me an address and I'll send one of my spare two - the 23.85mm would work best I guess?