Grimeca front brake calliper.

acemorini

Grimeca front brake calliper.

Post by acemorini »

Hello all,
after battling with the front disc callipers all day, I am in nead of one calliper, got one working ok the other one is seized solid,had it immersed in plus gas for weeks, tried heat today and the pistons still won’t move, so has anyone got one for sale, or got any good ideas on how to get the pistons out ?
Regards Pete.
72degrees

Re: Grimeca front brake calliper.

Post by 72degrees »

acemorini wrote:Hello all,
after battling with the front disc callipers all day, I am in nead of one calliper, got one working ok the other one is seized solid,had it immersed in plus gas for weeks, tried heat today and the pistons still won’t move, so has anyone got one for sale, or got any good ideas on how to get the pistons out ?
Regards Pete.
Compressed air, but high risk if it is really seized up.
buzby

Post by buzby »

I used one of these and can recommend it,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14PC-Motorcy ... 4b3fb44168
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
hendre

Post by hendre »

72degrees wrote:
acemorini wrote:Hello all,
Regards Pete.
Compressed air, but high risk if it is really seized up.
air is too dangerous, try fill most room with a liquid before you apply any pressed air.
I have had success with a gear grease gun, you just have to make a converter so you can mount a grease nipple to the caliper
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Thanks for all the reply’s, I have tried air but no luck on this one all though I have had success before, might try the grease gun method this week and order one of the piston removal kits as recommended by Buzby. Let you know how I get on.
Regards Pete.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

This worked for me recently, but it wasn't too badly seized even though the bike was standing for 20 years.
I reassembled with hydraulic line and reservoir and brake lever and clamped one of the pistons (the one that was moving a little) with a clamp like a g-clamp . I was then able to pump the other one out.
I wouldn't employ too much heat as it could damage the seals and may be these are difficult to get.
Again you could gently try to push the piston back in with a clamp to get it moving

I only used compressed air once, it scared the crap out of me when it came out even though I buried the caliper under a pile of rags, and i never want to do it again :oops:
Mark
Tom

Post by Tom »

PANG!!!!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tom wrote:PANG!!!!
What, use Chris Patton to remove the pistons?
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Update on the brake calliper saga, the piston removal kit turned up today and removed one of the stuck pistons easily, the other one would not move it was solid like it was welded in, went to see my mate at his garage airline homemade adapter into the calliper and piston out in less than 1 second, morale of the story don’t much about just go and see your mate in the garage.
Regards Pete.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Told you "PANG!!" is the only right sound
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

More of a BANG than a pang.
Regards Pete.