17 inch scrambler front wheel

ShaunR

17 inch scrambler front wheel

Post by ShaunR »

I know it’s a long shot but has anyone got a 17 inch front scrambler wheel they want to sell or swap for the 19 inch one from my bike.
hombre

Re: 17 inch scrambler front wheel

Post by hombre »

You want the one from a 1200 Sport I reckon? Maybe try looking for the wheels fitted to the Ducati Sport Classics, these are somewhat less rare.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I think the discs are larger on the Sport and 91/2. Also the calipers are better. If you go for the 17" front from one of those models, the brake upgrade would be a great benefit. Not sure if the forks are different?
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

Hey, i’d Not thought of those options. I will give a look. Thank you
Have a great Christmas an New Year
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Shaun.
Just a thought for you to consider. Should the bike have a 17 inch front wheel or was it designed with geometry for a 19 inch? The reason I ask is that it can markedly affect the trail of the front wheel if the bike is set up for a 19.
From my previous life as an Accident Investigator/Vehicle Examiner I know that activities like dropping the fork yokes down the fork legs - once a popular pastime - was often done by those that liked to think they were racers. It frequently reduced the trail by moving the front wheel backwards and steepening the fork angle enough to cause the bike to become unstable and generate tank slappers on poor roads and led to the demise of more than one rider :(
From memory, I believe that a minimum trail for stability was generally accepted to be around 67mm which I think is what the Fireblade was set at. Some race bikes were set at less than this but they were usually in the hands of very experienced track riders who were unlikely to be faced with oncoming traffic :wink:
If you do fit a smaller wheel, check the measurements carefully.
There was a model of Suzuki that became known as the widow maker quite a few years ago, I forget the model now. It was fitted with a fancy rotary type damper sited behind the engine where it could get hot (the best place for any damper is out in a cooling flow of air). That allowed oil to get one way in the damper faster than it could get out and resulted in the rear of the bike jacking itself up over a bumpy road surface - that reduced the trail significantly and was a cause of uncontrollable tank slappers.

just saying :wink:

Steve
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The infamous TL 1000. That was an interesting post, thanks Greybeard.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My Scrambler has come from the factory with a 17" front and rear. Hopefully they know what they are doing! :)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

You'd like to think so, MM :D I wonder if they altered the head angle or the fork offset to take it into account. It's something worth checking when any alteration of this sort is contemplated.

Steve (wots tiptoeing cautiously through life in order to make it safely to the end :wink: )
ShaunR

Post by ShaunR »

Thanks for all the help guys. My interest is because my granpasso r comes with a 17 inch wheel and is easier to manage than my old 19 inch wheel GP. Also my bike came from the same batch as Mr MMs and the tyre choice is better for the smaller wheel. I do appreciate what is being said. Let’s see what happens.