3 1/2 Exhaust nut spanner wanted

Greybeard

3 1/2 Exhaust nut spanner wanted

Post by Greybeard »

I tried to get one from NLM before the deadline but Rob says that they'd been cleaned out of them :? Anyone got one for sale, please, before I get going with the file to make one?
I know that they are available from Hofman in Germany but 47 Euros (plus P&P) seems a bit pricey!
Thanks.

Steve
72degrees

Re: 3 1/2 Exhaust nut spanner wanted

Post by 72degrees »

I just use a C adjustable 'hook' spanner.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

By 'eck, that was quick :D

72D - I did manage to get the existing nuts loosened with a suitable sized C spanner (it's actually one from an MZ tool kit I had years ago) though I did have to loosen the rocker cover so that I could get the spanner far enough around the nut- the rear one came out easily enough. I had to heat up around the exhaust port to get the front one moving. The option of having the right tool for the job though is something that this particular owner of an anorak likes :oops:

Mike - I'd not come across that website before. Thanks. It looks to be a substantially made tool. I shall drop him an email, probably after the festivities are over now. The price of new bronze nuts ain't too bad either. Have you ordered from him in the past?

Steve
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

They do look good but HFM? My faithful Britool articulated C spanner has never failed me in nearly 40 years but I see those aren't cheap any longer. I recently lost it (out of the side toolbox of the Gilera 175 during the Levis Cup road trial) and before it was luckily returned to me still in a jiffy bag with some other tools, I purchased a cheap replacement off Ebay. I've not tried that yet though , preferring the fit and strength of the Britool item.

Like this, but I suspect it may need a bit of touching up with a grinding wheel to fit the 'slot' nicely and the pivot may not be up to serious percussive assistance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264026086533

Much of the problem with removal is blighters who have used exhaust assembly paste on worn port threads that really needed renewing. If they are reasonable but not perfect I clean up the threads with an old 'nut' with four hacksaw slots cut in it
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

So far the threads look ok, though I've not had chance to proddle around yet. I'm hoping to receive an old 43mmx1.5mm tap this week that someone is sending me (a freebie :D ). It's a tapered 2nd cut tap by the sounds of it but I may be able to shorten/grind it down to give me an acceptable plug tap/thread chaser.
I'll have a go at tightening the nuts with my C-spanner first though must admit to still being tempted by the pukka job :wink:

PS - I suppose a Britool or Facom adjustable C-Spanner does come in a bit cheaper don't it :) - it's an option, though I've never actually used one.

Steve
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

It depends on how often you are likely to need it! Given the fairly frequent engine swaps I have done lately I could justify investing in a 'proper job'! I find that once snugged up hot a few times after a rebuild with the Britool, the nuts usually stay tight - though also I use the hose clip dodge recommended by evguru to help prevent unwanted loosening. Not very aesthetic but it works. I still carry the Britool with me though, just in case, as the Gilera single uses a a similar but externally fitting nut on the exhaust port.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

[quote="72degrees"]

Like this, but I suspect it may need a bit of touching up with a grinding wheel to fit the 'slot' nicely and the pivot may not be up to serious percussive assistance.

/quote]

Thanks for the link, I'll order a couple of those. One for each bike and another to stay in the home toolkit. They look very similar to the one I've had for over 30 years now, that one is US made and was a 'leaving present' from NATO. Sorry, I mean military surplus, or a gizzit for ex-members of the mob.
The ebay items are marked 'chrome vanadium' so ought to be good enough for at least moderate use so fine for carrying on the bike.
I've found that if I can't shift a nut with the tool I already have then even those long handle multi tooth types will fail and the nut is going to need extreme measures to get it out. There is just such a head laying in the shed now with a stuck solid ring nut and remains of a front pipe. I'm waiting till it thinks I've forgotten it then I'll get vicious with it. :twisted:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I bought one a few years ago on ebay.it, very strong and a good fit - not too expensive either. He's still making them: https://www.ebay.it/itm/MOTO-MORINI-V-T ... :rk:2:pf:0
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Come on. Own up. Who's just bought the last one? :shock:

Steve B/72degrees - interesting to hear what you both say about how a C-spanner can get the nuts adequately tightened. A Britool at £20 including p&p looks a good buy too.

Steve
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Greybeard wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264026086533

Come on. Own up. Who's just bought the last one? :shock:

Steve
It wasn't me! If you look lower down there are a nmber of people selling the same (apparently) item even cheaper, so cheap I ordered two! The £8 ones were sold out when I logged in. I also ended up buying a thread sert kit as well. It's as bad as being allowed int Aldi unsupervised.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Ooops, wrong link :oops: I meant the one above that Ming posted - the seller in Italy. When I looked on my tablet thing there was one left. When I went on the PC about 20 minutes later it'd gone :(

Steve
hombre

Post by hombre »

MickeyMoto wrote:Steve,

Try here http://www.morinispecial.it/joomla/inde ... ent&id=178

Mike
If you need help ordering in Italian let me know. Gini is always at the Italian Morinimeeting (which will be at 7-9 june and is already the 30th in 2019 btw!). I have one of these spanners and they are very good.
Maybe I can convince him in making a batch for you folks before the island is detached from the continent? ;)
Ming

Post by Ming »

Greybeard wrote:Ooops, wrong link :oops: I meant the one above that Ming posted - the seller in Italy. ...
Steve
Why don't you contact him - I suspect they're made to order.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Once the festivities are out of the way I'll drop Gini a line. A pair of shiny new exhaust nuts could well be on the cards at the same time :) it's that ha'p'orth o' tar syndrome that i suffer from when it comes to restorations.

Steve