Kick start lever

'It must be a .....'

Kick start lever

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Yesterday my Camel 500 kick start lever (later steel type) snapped at the pivot.
Therefore seeking a kick start lever either in alloy (which is the same as the road bikes) or the steel version which is similar the K2, only the lever is slightly different.
Really anything that clears the foot rest would do.
Thanks in anticipation, Ian
julianharty

Re: Kick start lever

Post by julianharty »

I've at least got what seems to be a short, chromed 'standard' one. I actually just bought it on eBay as a spare. I've also got an old nondescript longer, rusty, curved kickstart on an engine (possibly a Kanguro) I bought and have yet to refurbish. I don't know enough to know if either would be suitable.

Perhaps you could email me a photo of yours (julianharty@gmail.com) and send me a message here on the forum so I know to look for your email among the many I receive.

Also, what about rewelding yours? I've certainly welded one of mine that wore badly and if we can sort out the logistics would be willing to have a go at welding yours if you don't find a better option. I live near High Wycombe if that helps you decide on logistics, they should be expensive to post whichever way they come and go.

Good luck and let me know how I can help.

Julian
'It must be a .....'

Thanks Julian, I will send photos tomorrow.

Again many thanks, Ian
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Ian,
Good enough. And I'll be able to then send you photos of the ones I've got available by return. If you let me know whereabouts you live I may be able to drop by next week (I'm considering a ride out to Wiltshire one day in the week)
Julian
'It must be a .....'

Hi, see images below of the broken kick start lever.

Having looked at Morini images most road bike kick start levers should work on the 500 Camel.

The later curved type kick start lever from a later 501 Camel, Kanguro, Excalibur etc, cannot clear the footrest and only gives about 70/80 degrees of swing.

Ian
Attachments
Broken pivot pin is still in the lever
Broken pivot pin is still in the lever
Camel kick start (4).JPG (132.36 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Camel kick start (3).JPG
Camel kick start (3).JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 3166 times