Starter motor

rossguzzi

Starter motor

Post by rossguzzi »

Looking for a complete starter motor for my 500 Camel. Needing motor, clutch arms, drum on stator, everything !

I will probably need a few electrical bits to swap from 6v to 12v. Instructions too :D
Steve Brown

Re: Starter motor

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Ross, good luck if you go ahead with this. It is do-able but each little mod you make creates another challenge to think about. e.g. the extra width of the casing means the foot rest has to move further outboard. Then you need to rework the rear brake pedal and its cable anchor and cable route. Then there is the challenge of finding where to fit the bigger 12 volt battery, it's heavy starter cables and a starter relay. I was working from scratch so had more wriggle room. There are a lot of powerful lithium ion type batteries available now but still doubts about their longevity when being charged by the old Morini alternator and regulator. It's a complicated electrical thing that I don't really understand. Also you most likely need a generator assembly form an electric start model. This because the windings and stator are beefed up and the flywheel magnets as well as the clutch drum on the outside.
And all this is before you go through the reconditioning of the starter and it's gearbox/clutch. Oh and the locating dowels to centralise the casing. There was talk about them being an odd size that isn't an off the shelf item so would need the use of a lathe to knock them up.
I'm not saying give up but be prepared for a lot of head scratching!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I agree totaly :roll:
Ming

Post by Ming »

norbert wrote:I agree totaly :roll:
Me too, but being like that old Greek (DodgyKnees) I think I know where Ross is coming from. All the same (having recently acquired a K2 with elec foot), I think you could spend your time and money on ensuring that the ignition system is the best it can be, while perfecting your starting routine. I now find that I can kick start the Strada almost as easily as pushing the button on the K2.