Morini 250 2C wanted

solviken

Morini 250 2C wanted

Post by solviken »

Not sure why but got a hankering for a 2C. Had a 2C skip find years ago but never gave it a chance by slotting a 350 engine in so maybe a guilt thing?
Prefer a project rather than immaculate.
Might even consider a brown job. :)

On the lookout for a first series Bianchi Tonale too.

Nick
Lincolnshire
solviken

Re: Morini 250 2C wanted

Post by solviken »

Not having any luck finding a 2C if anyone has one to sell?

Thanks, Nick
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Nick,
One sold recently which was an import from the EU, sold to someone with many Italian bikes but their first Morini from what I understand from the seller. If you don't track one down directly in a couple of weeks and would like me to see if the buyer would consider selling their one to you let me know and I'll send a request to the seller (I was considering buying it but didn't end up doing so).
I do think they're cute bikes, I rode one back in around 1987 that Benjy lent me when one of my Morini's was being serviced. I hope to ride one again someday soon.
Julian
solviken

Post by solviken »

Hi Julian
Yes, would be interested thanks.
Just spotted one on Facebook too, an older EU import with unusual high bars..
Like buses lol.

Cheers, Nick
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

solviken wrote:Hi Julian
Like buses lol.

Cheers, Nick
The Spanish 'barn find' that formed the basis for the latest Forgotten Error (350 in a 2C) had the high bars. 1982 was what NLM had dated it to.
My other 2C/375 was the original UK 2C 250 test bike has featured in Which Bike in 1980.

I did ride it for a while after acquiring it in 1982, but it soon became part of the 'Bitza Trio' (perm Morini 350, Morini 250, SWM 250 GS). It has had a 350ish engine in since then. That original 250 did a little duty in a 350 frame as a second hill climb bike, but I have to say it was rather lacking in power. It then became the 'Wombat' sporting the fork legs from the SWM enduro bike and a home brew 2:1 high level exhaust. It was surprisingly competent off-road and I actually managed to get through a couple of observed sections at an AJS/Matchless classic trial after I had finished observing. I sold it to a young chap - I wonder if it survived.

No idea what will become of the Forgotten Error now I have hung my racing leathers up, but it is an almost complete spares kit for the road bike, so will lurk in my shed for a while yet.

I nearly acquired another 250 with a vow to keep it standard, but these days I increasingly need something with a very docile engine like my 1957 Gilera 175, or electric start like the HUsky 401 Svartpilen ;) Just not enough garage space.

250 specific parts are becoming harder to source (harder than general 350 bits) but the handling is truly delightful.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Nick,
is it this one on Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 074104205/

How much effort are you willing to make to have one on the road? I ask as it's significantly more expensive than the one I mentioned, however, that one has been stood for many years, is missing a few parts, and would need the paperwork doing (and associated MoT using the frame number, etc.). As I know from restoring a Kanguro X (admittedly in worse condition) the time and energy in restoring the bike and dealing with the NOVA paperwork (and most likely with DVLA to obtain a registration number once I've completed the rebuild) is quite an effort.

My guess is that the bike on Facebook is relatively expensive for a 2C, towards the top of the prices I've seen for these bikes in the last few years, however, if it's been well maintained, is reliable, and suits your needs might suit you nonetheless.

Ciao

Julian
solviken

Post by solviken »

72degrees wrote:
solviken wrote:Hi Julian
Like buses lol.

Cheers, Nick
The Spanish 'barn find' that formed the basis for the latest Forgotten Error (350 in a 2C) had the high bars. 1982 was what NLM had dated it to.
My other 2C/375 was the original UK 2C 250 test bike has featured in Which Bike in 1980.

I did ride it for a while after acquiring it in 1982, but it soon became part of the 'Bitza Trio' (perm Morini 350, Morini 250, SWM 250 GS). It has had a 350ish engine in since then. That original 250 did a little duty in a 350 frame as a second hill climb bike, but I have to say it was rather lacking in power. It then became the 'Wombat' sporting the fork legs from the SWM enduro bike and a home brew 2:1 high level exhaust. It was surprisingly competent off-road and I actually managed to get through a couple of observed sections at an AJS/Matchless classic trial after I had finished observing. I sold it to a young chap - I wonder if it survived.

No idea what will become of the Forgotten Error now I have hung my racing leathers up, but it is an almost complete spares kit for the road bike, so will lurk in my shed for a while yet.

I nearly acquired another 250 with a vow to keep it standard, but these days I increasingly need something with a very docile engine like my 1957 Gilera 175, or electric start like the HUsky 401 Svartpilen ;) Just not enough garage space.

250 specific parts are becoming harder to source (harder than general 350 bits) but the handling is truly delightful.
I did get to ride Pete Walons 375 engined 2C in the early 80s at Cadwell which was certainly the best Morini I’ve ever ridden, it just revved so freely and handled beautifully. A revelation! The 350 you just think it around a bend, the 2C you don’t even need to think.
Tried my own 350/2C at Baitings Dam hill climb and I think Lyme Park when the BSA was in bits but just never had the power for it. The Gilera sounds interesting as I’m looking for a Bianchi Tonale too but they’re even more difficult to find.
buzby

Post by buzby »

This my 250 bought 2 years ago for £600 on Ebay as a project with a lot of missing parts and no documents. I would say it's not that hard to obtain a V5 but it does take time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparrowha ... ed-public/
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I'm just adding a link to buzby's photo of his very pretty 2C, it doesn't seem to appear in the forum normally (but the link did appear when I replied to the topic).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparrowha ... ed-public/
Attachments
Buzby's 2C formatted so the photo should appear in the forum.
Buzby's 2C formatted so the photo should appear in the forum.
buzby_2c_photo.jpg (501.65 KiB) Viewed 8193 times
buzby

Post by buzby »

Thanks,I did have a problem attaching the photo,
Dave.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
solviken

Post by solviken »

Yes indeed buzbys 2C looks great.
And yes the Facebook 2C is the bike I spotted earlier. And yes overpriced.
I have restored a Strada in the 90s and recently a French moped import so NOVA is no problem.
My main concern Is missing unobtainable and expensive parts so completeness within reason is important.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have one which I would be willing to sell (trying to downsize :( ) - its complete and runs,registered as a historic vehicle, it is also somewhat weather worn. The only problem is it's in central France and currently under lockdown. PM me if you want further details.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Ming wrote:I have one which I would be willing to sell (trying to downsize :( ) - its complete and runs,registered as a historic vehicle, it is also somewhat weather worn. The only problem is it's in central France and currently under lockdown. PM me if you want further details.
Couriers like UPS still go around the country, I bought an engine which was delivered in just a few days
hendre

Post by hendre »

not mine but I can negotiate...
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1539999093
solviken

Post by solviken »

Interested. It’s just getting it back to the UK.