Wanted various parts to help restore an incomplete Kanguro X

julianharty

Wanted various parts to help restore an incomplete Kanguro X

Post by julianharty »

I bought redvee's old Kanguro and am slowly dismantling it as I free up parts that last moved over a decade ago. I've various parts missing that I'd like to buy to speed up my restoration if any of you have spares of them. Here are the main things I'm seeking currently:

- Speedo and front brake cables, complete. I've posted separately on the off road forum viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5871 about recommendations, however someone here might have a set, even some knackered ones would help me to procure new replacements. If you have a tacho cable too that'd be a great help. Similarly the throttle cable that goes to the splitter, I was planning to make one however if you have one, again it'd be helpful.

- side and/or center stand especially with the bits and pieces, springs, clips, bolts, etc. Almost any condition. I'm planning to make a side stand using a TIG welder as the ones for sale on eBay are from international sellers and the combined cost including postage seems wasteful.

- Front footrests. Again there are a couple of sets for sale in Europe, does anyone have any locally in the UK? For now I've a set of generic clones which would need modifying.

- A piston with rings? and somewhere suitable to buy new circlips for the gudgeon pins. I'm still working on trying to free up the front piston and don't know what state the piston, rings or barrel will be.

- The rear light unit including whatever mount it has to the rear mudguard. I have a black triangle-shaped piece that may well be the mount, held on with 3 10mm head nuts, however it's damaged.

I'm happy to use non-original bits and pieces if they're mechanically sound. I want to get this bike roadworthy so I can MoT it and then apply for a UK registration (I've completed the NOVA and have an age letter). I want to ride it where the limiting factor is the rider not the bike failing.

In return (in case you'd like to swap stuff) I've a spare tank, mudguards and seat, all a bit tatty however they're usable. They're in red.

Thank you, Julian
acemorini

Re: Wanted various parts to help restore an incomplete Kangu

Post by acemorini »

Hello Julian,
I have some x3 spares in the shed, I think centre stand, foot pegs and maybe rear light and a piston, I will have a look over the weekend for you.
Regards Pete.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Pete, sounds good, and thank you for offering to find out what you've got. I'm determined to get this bike UK legal and roadworthy, it's an attractive bike and deserves riding again. My aim is to make it a budget, fun reliable bike I can ride any time. With your help and that of some other morini riders there's a good chance I'll manage which makes me happy.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Hi Julian, the cables for the clock are also fitted to Guzzi's, don't know exctly which model but this might point you in the right direction.
I probably have some of those footrests, if they are the same that are fitted to the squaretube frames? If so, they are fresh powdercoated (I recently had a pile of parts done...)
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I read this just after replying to your post in the 'off road' forum. :roll:

Yes, I can help with a few of the bits you need, and if you make centre or side stands I'm interested!
I'm in Leicestershire so not too far away. We spoke at the Tewkesbury rally too, I had my Camel/Bitsa/Special there.
My Kanguro X is to be a usable rather than pristine rebuild too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Steve,
Thank you too. I think we might also have chatted at a Stafford show where you had an outdoor area if I remember correctly. Anyway, I would be happy to meet up at some point to sort out bits and pieces. BTW there was a Kanguro X listed for sale near you on eBay until earlier this week when the sale was withdrawn, the bike had 80K miles/KM and was claimed to be roadworthy and in good working order. It was listed at £800 or offers which seems quite reasonable if it actually was ridable, etc.

For the side stand in particular, I've currently got lots of pictures from those that have been listed for sale to get an idea of how they run and the various twists in their arrangement along their length, etc. I've also measured up my bike to get an idea of a good length. I've some ideas on how I could make the stand more stable especially on undulating and soft surfaces which I may well try out once I get as far as my first prototype. As an observation, my one-off 3 1/2 center stand needs to fit around the U shaped trombone and I've made 2 versions so far as I've iterated on first making it fit at all, and then improving it so it tucked away better and reduced the height so the bike wasn't as hard to put on the stand. If I've got originals to compare against I might be able to save one or two of the iterations.

I'm thinking of making at least one in stainless steel tubing as I happen to have some that looks like it might suit. I'll post updates in the off road section as and when I make my first prototype.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Hombre, thanks for the pointer to look at Guzzi spares as a possible source. I'll post an update once I've tried some.

For the footrests, I've no idea yet if they're the same. I'll see if anyone in the UK has some for the X first and meanwhile also check photos of footrests for the X3 to see if they look similar to those people are selling for the older, round-tubed models.

BTW: it seems the front - still seized cylinder has a few flaws in the Nikasil coating just where the top ring might reach at TDC (I'll know more if I ever manage to free up the piston in the barrel) so would appreciate a replacement if someone has one (and I still want the older barrels with liners please, I just need to come and collect them :)
hombre

Post by hombre »

julianharty wrote:BTW: it seems the front - still seized cylinder has a few flaws in the Nikasil coating just where the top ring might reach at TDC (I'll know more if I ever manage to free up the piston in the barrel) so would appreciate a replacement if someone has one (and I still want the older barrels with liners please, I just need to come and collect them :)
They are tucked away in a safe place ;)
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Thank you, and if you happen to have a friendly gilardoni cylinder and piston then I would arrive even sooner :)

Meanwhile I'm going to investigate whether the newer 3 1/2 K series engine I bought from Italy is in better health.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Julian,

Good luck. I bought RedVee's K1. Not much happened for a few months, but just got the footrests to sort. Need the footrests themselves as I have the levers.

Did it need to be NOVAd? I thought only bikes imported after a certain date needed a NOVA certificate, or does it need one to say it was pre NOVA?

Thanks,

Mike
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Mike,
NOVA was brought in perhaps 5 years ago, perhaps earlier. There's a government web site where you can register for a NOVA if the bike was bought in from the EU, and you're required to request a NOVA within 14 days IIRC. When they brought in the NOVA they realised there'd be some bikes already in the UK (in sheds, etc) that wouldn't be covered by this timing or requirement so they allow people to request a paper copy of the NOVA form and complete it by hand. Several people e.g. old car clubs have electronic copies of the NOVA form online however it isn't clear if these would be accepted (or not).

For bikes that were in the UK before the NOVA service started, you're expected to contact one of the VAT helplines to request the form by post. The website had an online chat service which I used to 'speak' to someone by typing in words. They offered to email me the form after taking my name, address, phone number, etc. etc. However I've yet to receive the form, they don't give you a reference number, yada yada. I did keep a copy of the chat history (there's a facility to do so at the end of the chat session) so have a record I'd requested the form.

I'm aware of at least a couple of Morinis that need someone to apply for a NOVA, given we're in the transitional phase for Brexit from the EU it's probably prudent and sensible for anyone who's got an unregistered import to start the NOVA process before the rules change.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks Julian,

I'll investigate when back from my latest jaunt.

I'll then finish the bike, MoT it, get a dating cert then register it... probably take longer than restoring it!
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Julian,
I have a piston and barrel, there is also a centre stand, side stand, clutch cable and footrests, it’s a bit hard to see what else there is as the remains of the bike is quite buried.
Regards Pete.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Pete,
Excellent, my bike needs the side-stand that goes on the swing-arm is yours the same type? (if not I think Steve Brown, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5871 ) would fine a good home for a frame-mounted side-stand.

Does the piston have the rings, etc?

Would it be easier to chat or use email regarding these parts? As you might expect, I'd appreciate some photos of the parts, and thank you for investigating to help me get this bike working. I'll PM you my contact details.

Julian
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Julian,
Pm sent.
Regards Pete.