Decent front disc anyone

Stubaker58

Decent front disc anyone

Post by Stubaker58 »

Has anyone got a decent front disc for a 31/2 Sport. Mine have seen better days. If anyone has one it would save me getting mine skimmed.
Thanks
Stu
Richard

Re: Decent front disc anyone

Post by Richard »

I would be wary of having a Morini disc skimmed if I were you. I bought my K2 which had skimmed discs and it was awful to ride. Felt like they were badly warped, so bad that I only did short test runs. Checked run-out and it was OK. Think the problem was skimming warped chromed discs takes the chrome off the high spots and leaves chrome on the low spots with consequent changes in friction as the pads contact the revolving disc. Might have thinned out the disc too much if chrome removed from low spots as well. Have experienced warped discs on bikes and cars, but never as bad as that. New discs completely resolved the problem.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, get a good engineering shop to grind the discs back to sound surfaces that are flat and parallel to each other, skimming is not the solution and leaves the fluctuations in thickness as described, making the discs scrap.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Hi
I was planning to use the “Disc Doctor” as he seems to do a good job, £75 per disc, worth it if they get sorted though.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Stubaker58 wrote:Hi
I was planning to use the “Disc Doctor” as he seems to do a good job, £75 per disc, worth it if they get sorted though.
I sent three discs to him a year or two ago and was very pleased with the results. All three were warped/pulsing and rough looking. They came back looking like new and perfectly straight. New pads and great brakes again!
There is also Roy Theresby making discs to fit Morinis now. New so not so cheap as a refurb but if yours are beyond redemption they are well worth a look.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.