I've fallen for it, a leap year's request

julianharty

I've fallen for it, a leap year's request

Post by julianharty »

The forum seems oddly quiet today, our first leap day for 4 years - at least in the UK - 4 years where much has transpired. Personally I've sold two morinis, a Corsaro 1200 and a Kanguro X3, and acquired two, an oversized cast wheel Sport and Redvee's old Kanguro X as a project to rebuild. I nearly bought a Dart 400 and a 2C (I'd still like to at least ride both of models these soon).

How about adding your thoughts on bikes you'd like to either ride or own no later than 29th Feb 2024?

For me, it'll be getting my Kanguro X roadworthy and registered in the UK by this summer (DVLA permitting), riding a Dart and a 2C. I've also got to get at least one of my VFR 400 NC24's healthy and reliable, again by this summer at the latest.

And in my dream of dreams a small fun, super-reliable Moto Morini watercooled V twin of around 344cc. BTW the closest bike I've ridden to this was a modern Honda VTR250 in Japan a couple of years ago.

Over to you...
MickeyMoto

Re: I've fallen for it, a leap year's request

Post by MickeyMoto »

Nope, still none the wiser what you are after buying... :)

The Forum is quite as Fora are so yesterday. Get with it and go to faceache where your data can be harvested so you can be inundated with advertising. I would say paying clubs will go the same way soon as people do not expect to pay for anything. Maybe some people think this forum is free, too! No such thing as a free ride.

For me, I'd just like to be able to still ride anything in 2024 without interference.
hombre

Post by hombre »

What's with that date guys?
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I'm currently riding my 04 Tuono on a weekend country 1000 km ride. I'm getting to the age where it's taught suspension is tiring me. It's a blast on smooth roads, but this is Australia ! And yet riding my Camel on dirt roads is totally fine. Go figure.
If I had a spare $30 K the new Tryamph Rocket would be nice.
I know where there is a Morini 250 twin in need of re licensing. Could be a nice project. But I already have a project in the shed. A Ducati 450 Scrambler.
There are too many new bikes to try, but to be honest not many at all I will buy.
If I can get the 450 in as new condition, the Camel and something sporty but more plush for the road, I will be happy.
A guy I know is selling a Honda Valkyrie naked thing. I wonder .............
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Hans do you have leap days in Amsterdam, or have they been harmonised away?

Mike, I agree it'll be great to simply be able to still ride our old (and new motorbikes) without further legislative issues for many years to come.
hombre

Post by hombre »

julianharty wrote:Hans do you have leap days in Amsterdam, or have they been harmonised away?
Ah okay, didn't get that :oops:
I thought you couldn't ride anymore after 2024. Over here there are plans to close Amsterdam as per 2030 for fossil fuel powered cars and bikes...
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

At least our government has stated that the ban on petrol/diesel/hybrid new cars will not affect motorcycles. Probably because they'll be banned before the implementation date!

A recent study found that to manufacture a lithium ion battery for a car emitted the same CO2 as eight years worth of driving from an average mileage petrol car. Not particularly green! Not forgetting the environmental damage of digging the elements and alleged child labour in the DRC. Hydrogen fuel cell and clean electricity looks promising.

I refuse to buy one until EVs become green and half the price.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Yes, I don't understand that either. There is a car being developed now that is riding on solar power only, that makes sense! Not acting as if your Tesla is green when the power is from coals. Anyway, for my diesel-van I paid the extra taxes, so fresh air on its way! :mrgreen:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hahahahaha...

Solar Power will not work in the UK - does it not require sunshine? :)
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

julianharty wrote: And in my dream of dreams a small fun, super-reliable Moto Morini watercooled V twin of around 344cc. BTW the closest bike I've ridden to this was a modern Honda VTR250 in Japan a couple of years ago.

Over to you...
In my dreams too, but at my age time and tide can wait for no man. I pick up a Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen 372cc single today. 150Kgs 40ish BHP, ABS, E-start (naturally). Reliability? Hmm. The only other Husky I've owned dropped an exhaust valve. Still, this is basically a KTM engine, built in India but final assembly in Austria. I'm not expecting vast mileages without servicing and I guess it will need very frequent oil changes with full-synthetic. Time will tell.
Ming

Post by Ming »

From the look at the floods, you'd be better off looking at solar / electric powered jetskis! I still have a long list of bikes I would like to ride, mostly not modern (eg Honda Valkyrie, Suzuki Bandit, Kawasaki ER6 & W650), and running out of time...
hombre

Post by hombre »

MickeyMoto wrote:Hahahahaha...

Solar Power will not work in the UK - does it not require sunshine? :)
You have to make your own ;)
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Mike *is* a sunshine! Job done as we say... I expect to see radiant self-driving eco-cars flood the north of England, shortly before the country sets sail to wherever Mr Boris Johnson decides we're heading that day :)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

That's it, topic finished for me.

Cant people keep their fucking political opinions to themselves? I am not interested in any opinions any way, shape or form. I am interested in motorcycling.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

72degrees wrote:
julianharty wrote: And in my dream of dreams a small fun, super-reliable Moto Morini watercooled V twin of around 344cc. BTW the closest bike I've ridden to this was a modern Honda VTR250 in Japan a couple of years ago.

Over to you...
In my dreams too, but at my age time and tide can wait for no man. I pick up a Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen 372cc single today. 150Kgs 40ish BHP, ABS, E-start (naturally). Reliability? Hmm. The only other Husky I've owned dropped an exhaust valve. Still, this is basically a KTM engine, built in India but final assembly in Austria. I'm not expecting vast mileages without servicing and I guess it will need very frequent oil changes with full-synthetic. Time will tell.
Well, I have to say, it is a delight to ride. A cross between a Morini 350 and a Gilera Nordwest. Slightly pokier than a Morini, not as grunty as a Nordwest, but lighter. I fear my inner hooligan may re-emerge. Just a pity it hasn't got a Morini Eagle or Gilera linked rings on the tank.