connector blades

dunk 1

connector blades

Post by dunk 1 »

Hello - does anyone know of a source for replacement blades for the small "bakelite" junction box below the headstock - its the 4 way riveted in blade I need - I would search but don't actually know what its officially called -thanks Duncan
dunk
harrymuffin

Re: connector blades

Post by harrymuffin »

The spade type connectors you ask about were devised by Lucas Industries in the 1950's and were patented as Lucar Connectors. You would be best to search for anything from car components of that era, the chances of you getting hold of the one you want to fit will be looking for something in a hay stack and you will most likely find one fitted to something with it in, such as the four fuse holders fitted to just about every european car from that era onward. Try AES, of Tenbury Wells or Holdens, of Bromyard et al. You can readly buy piggy back connetors but they are not designed to be rivetted into something. I would suggest you try and get hold of the dedicated distribution plate/box as fitted or try one of the other EyTie bike manufacturers.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Having gone back into my sanctum, and having a minute thinking I was sure I once had the same problem as you have, I had a fertle in 'one of never throw away anything that may come in useful electical tins' and after five minutes found what you are looking for. I have four way spades and two way spades. They are fixed using brass hollow tube rivets one of which is still in one of the two way spades, they are not reusable though. If you have no luck in finding a terminal block to your liking and want to repair yours, then let me know by PMing me.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I've noticed there's what might be a suitable NOS unit for sale in the Netherlands https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-wire-con ... 4260954131 however the post costs more than the item! Anyway, the seller has various NOS items for Morinis so perhaps you'll find some other bits that'll help ameliorate the overall cost of the shipping. Good luck.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Thank you everyone, I presumed on my original post it would just be a simple case of buy new connectors and mend but I have looked hard and cannot find any. I could leave as it is - the bike came to me with a broken blade for one of the idiot lights and I have never missed it (high beam is the only one that works) but some of the point of my refurb is getting to grips with skills like wiring so it would seem wrong to leave it.
The Dutch e bay offering is interesting but I have always be little wary of ebay - never mind that it is also abroad. Mending what I have got seems the most appropriate option so I will be Pming Harry regarding his kind offer
Duncan
dunk