Wanted - 350 Ignition Full Set Pickup, Rotor & 2x Transducer

robinh44

Wanted - 350 Ignition Full Set Pickup, Rotor & 2x Transducer

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Have a failing NLM ignition and want to switch back to the original ingition system. Need pickup / rotor and 2x transducer. Prefer later version ie black pickup and grey transducers but happy to have anything working. Many thanks please reply or pm details.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Steve Brown

Re: Wanted - 350 Ignition Full Set Pickup, Rotor & 2x Transd

Post by Steve Brown »

robinh44 wrote:Hi,

Have a failing NLM ignition and want to switch back to the original ingition system. Need pickup / rotor and 2x transducer. Prefer later version ie black pickup and grey transducers but happy to have anything working. Many thanks please reply or pm details.

Regards

Robin
Hi Robin, surprised no-one has said it but you can get replacement new parts from a firm in Italy called Nuovaray (check spelling!) They do the transducers and pick-ups. Look at the Dutch Morini club website for a list of the correct numbers for the various types and search the numbers on google or ebay and the transducers can be had quite cheap. They are mostly the bulging type so I expect a larger HT coil within and better sparks. I currently have a running X and an on the road X2. They both start very easily but the X2 (with bulging transducers) is the easiest starting Morini I've ever known. I can start it by hand even, using the kickstart.

Another source for transducers is the ones sold for scooters, some even have the same part numbers. I do have a small stash of original parts including a pair of the flat sided grey transducers, trouble is they are all getting very old for electronics and they are not tested. They came with various projects/wrecks I have picked up over the years.

I also have an NLM system on my Camel. If you only lose sparks on one cylinder then you can still use original type parts as above with part of the NLM system. E.g. the NLM pick up will work with original transducers or the NLM module and coils will work with an original/Nuovaray pick up.

That bike of yours is nice too. I have seen it in the metal at either a show or maybe Cadwell-a great job you've done!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

If none of the above ignition options appeal there is also the system from SWF in the Netherlands. I have one on my 350 Sport. Not been able to test it properly yet as that engine is being rebuilt and I'm waiting on some machining to be done. But I did get to fit it and run it before I stripped it. It's a neat job that is programmable via your laptop and some sort of clever online team session with the maker that I haven't tried/don't understand yet :roll: Like most of the other replacements it requires 12 volts DC so although it's a low current draw you will need a reasonable size battery and good charging.
With this system fitted the sparks were lovely like a modern bike and starting easy with the possibility to get a really slow idle as you can play with the advance curve a lot. Can't remember for sure but maybe it will cure that high-revving on cold start that all old Morinis have? This is mainly I think, because the ignition point goes from after TDC at kick over speed straight up to 20 odd degrees at running speeds.
The SWF system also costs a lot less than the others. :)
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions thats really useful. I saw mention of the SWF system that looks good. I will ponder the options, the sachse appears to look the most professional of the addon offerings. I always wanted to avoid reliance on the battery but I will weigh up the pros and cons. The SWF ignition does not appear to have a working web presence currently.

Thanks for the comments on the bike you would have seen it at Cadwell 2013 I suspect, when it had 6 very successful runs on the original ignition and carbs.

Regards

Robin
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I have a NLM module and conventional coils on both my Morinis, but have retained OEM type 2 red pickups after not being impressed by an early NLM pickup.
On the hill climber I retained the original transducers in place as backup but never needed them. If you are really stuck I might part with them (early black type), but I have no spare pickup.

Which component has failed? I did have one NLM module of the later two wiring bunches type that went 'on to one', but the original single bundle connection one I've had on for years with no problems.

I have a SWF system ready as a 'BETA tester' but haven't tried it yet. You would think I currently have plenty of opportunity to at least see if it works, but seem to spending all my time on getting the 57 GIlera 175 nearer to original (including the correct width tyres). I'm amazed at myself!

On the road 2C/375 there isn't much room to have 'redundant' coils, and I'm wary about putting just the SWF system on.

I must get round to it soon though - but then there's the MX5 cam belt change in the fettling queue too.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

robinh44 wrote:Hi Steve,

The SWF ignition does not appear to have a working web presence currently.

Regards

Robin
That's right, I'm not sure he ever has! If you email him though you'll get a reply I'm sure. I have seen some online info about his system but feel sure it was on a Moto Guzzi forum.
Huub is another member of this club and forum who loaned bike/parts to help develop the SWF kit and I think he has posted info but I can't remember where!
I think the SWF is professional enough though, and look forward to testing mine properly. I'm only waiting on some small end bushes being machined to size. That job is being drawn out a little! As soon as I have them I'm sure I have everything else ready to assemble and will report on the ignition then.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Robin, and generally,
I agree Nuovaray have the parts and I've successfully ordered a pair of the newer-type of transducers from them, however it's not a cheap option - the prices on the Dutch site are from nearly 20 years ago! Back in 2017 I bought a pair of NR-C30 32.3982 and they cost 85 euros each plus a shipping fee of 25 euros. They also sell the pickups, again they have replacements for the red and the black pickups. I've not seen or bought any of their pickups, I've seen a couple of mixed comments about their perceived quality.
I spoke to their customer service by phone (I speak some Italian, he spoke some English), we then switched to email, and I paid using paypal by prior email agreement (otherwise they usually ask for a bank transfer where our banks in the UK charge quite a bit for an international bank payment).

I've bought a couple of the transducers meant for scooters such as Vespas. Supposedly genuine Italian ones are available, and many cheaper ones from India. I've yet to try them as my Kanguro (we're discussing in another forum entry) is still in many bits.

I have got a Sachse Ignition fitted to a 350 Sport, it came with the bike. As you may read elsewhere on this forum that bike wasn't very reliable for lots of reasons when I bought it so although I've ridden it for perhaps 2000 miles I've yet to decide whether the Sachse system works well as I've been slowly replacing various faulty parts including a head, the exhaust system, a carb, etc. I can say that their technical service is good and they shipped me a replacement pickup PCB (circuit board) for the cost of postage.

@72degrees - perhaps Robin could help you test your SWF ignition? After all he's got an impending need and might be able to help solve your problem (of too many items in your backlog) by testing it on your behalf :) He does have non-standard carbs on his bike which might complicate the testing and evaluation though...
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your suggestions, I think the best route is due to the awful build quality of the rotor on the NLM and the fact I have tried to improve the timing by adjusting the pickups I might take up 72degrees tip to replace just the pickup and rotor with an original one and test from there. I am also open to testing any ignitions you have that need testing. Just to advise previously I did used to rewind morini igntion stator coils and get near the magic 300 ohms. But the 3000 turns of 0.15mm wire are not something I look forward too, bit like climbing mountains.

So if anyone has a pickup and rotor available for sale let me know. I will keep you updated.

Regards

Robin
Al B

Post by Al B »

I bought a Nouvaray pickup last year and it was 110 euros plus shipping. It looks just like the original and fits perfectly.

The blue transducers from a piaggio/vespa parts supplier cost around 30 quid each so are much less than the nuovaray ones, or there are chinese copies from ebay cheaper still
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi All,

I have taken the plunge and purchased the SWF ignition. Ordered and received within 2 days very impressed. Build quality looks very good. I was swayed by the price and the build quality of the components , particularly the pickup rotor. Also looks easy to fit and setup. Comes with coils and NGK plug caps.
So I will report back in the next few weeks, once fitted.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Robin
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes please do let us know how you get on. I had hoped to have mine back together and running again by now, and test my SWF kit as well. Sadly my small end bearings STILL haven't been done-over a month now, :x so I went and fetched them back and sent them to T&L instead.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Robin, have you managed to fit and try out the SWF ignition yet? What do you reckon to it if you've actually ridden the bike with it by now?
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi Julian,

Sorry 2020 been a bit hellish so far (thats excluding covid), lost my Dad in March and then at the end of that month have had back problems, still ongoing. Still trying to get sorted. It is still high up on the list but more likely a winter project now. Also added my late fathers BMW R25/3 to the list, needs engine work and 50 years of standing in a garage correcting. As soon as the Morini done I will report. Stay safe and well

Regards

Robin
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I'd like to know if anyone else has had the SWF kit working too. My bike is now rebuilt and runs fine on the ignition parts borrowed from my Kanguro. With the new system fitted I cant set the timing anywhere near right, my strobe won't work with it (works fine on anything else) and if it isn't kicking back on starting it's retarded to the point of being useless. I'm on my second backplate unit as the maker replaced the first for me. I'm getting the same results with the new one too. :(
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

I don't have the SWF ignition, but was seriously thinking of getting one so watching this thread with interest.

Cheers,

Kamel.