NLM Ignition install instructions

Kamel

NLM Ignition install instructions

Post by Kamel »

Hi all, does anybody have a set of NLM Ignition install instructions they could send me?

Cheers,

Kamel.
dunk 1

Re: NLM Ignition install instructions

Post by dunk 1 »

hello I have the pick up and transducer instructions - let me know the best way to get them to you - Duncan
dunk
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Brilliant, thanks Duncan, will P.M. you.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

dunk 1 wrote:hello I have the pick up and transducer instructions - let me know the best way to get them to you - Duncan
Hi Duncan, This gets asked for a few times I think? I wonder if the instructions could be added to the club website tech articles?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

no problem - what's the easiest way to get them on there
dunk
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Was there more than one NLM ignition? as the instructions Duncan kindly sent don't really match what I have. My box has two bundles of cables, one containing 6 and the other 4 cables exiting the box next to each other.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I’m happy to add them to the club website technical area if somebody emails them to me-

Webmaestro at Morini-riders-club.com

(Remove the spaces at replace at with @)

Tom
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Hello Tom - am trying to get them to you but am having trouble with e mail this morning
Kamel do the rest of the wires match in colour? i.e. is there a "spare" or is it completely different. in my rewire I "tidied" up the nlm box as I hated the look of the pre insulated connectors, I have half a memory of there being the stump of an unused wire when I peeled back the sleeving but this could entirely be false memory syndrome due to age and the fact that at the time I was also working on the wiring of my T4 which has lots of weird extra wiring bits courtesy of previous owner.
dunk
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Kamel wrote:Was there more than one NLM ignition? as the instructions Duncan kindly sent don't really match what I have. My box has two bundles of cables, one containing 6 and the other 4 cables exiting the box next to each other.
Yes, I'm sure I heard there were 2 versions. What you describes sounds like the set on my Camel which is working nicely enough too. Perhaps we can get both types drawn up?
Is yours accessible at the moment Kamel? Mine is still under the tank and in service but will try and remember to take a look next time I'm in there.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Duncan, you're a man after my own heart, I hate those pre-insulated connectors too. Luckily this box only had one on one of the blue wires which I've susequently replaced.

Steve, here are some pictures of the unit..
Wires
Wires
wires.JPG (141.76 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Components
Components
back.JPG (170.15 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Part Number ?
Part Number ?
Part number.JPG (165.81 KiB) Viewed 6771 times

I'm guessing the blues are ground, the reds are from the pickup, whites (with black tubes) to the coils negative, the brown with green tube, and black with green tube are coil positives? Yellow rev counter, but the green ? kill button perhaps?

Cheers,

Kamel.
Last edited by Kamel on 07 Nov 2020 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Hello -if you look at the diagram I sent - which should be up on the system soon - sent to webmaestro today- the wire colours are virtually the same - but in different groupings. The only extra you seem to have is a blue frame earth. I am not very knowledgeable on the electrics but would it be worth trying to wire it up using the same colour guide as indicated.
Duncan
dunk
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I remember when my NLM kit arrived there was a wire unaccounted for, I phoned Rob and was told which wire to ignore or something not-quite-all-there...

I would hope that over 10 years later, your version is corrected but I can find/scan my instructions if you find you have an excess wire.

DD½
MRC 3082½
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Quite a few people have told me over the years, the standard ignition setup or more established brands (such as the saches ignition setup) are the way forward. Some have said the best instructions if you have an NLM ignition setup is simply to remove it. I've no personal experience but I know people have had real problems with it and in their own words have wasted a lot of money where some parts have failed far to regularly for their liking.

Gary&Anne
JonD

Post by JonD »

After reading the totally unhelpful comment from Bumblebee I remember why I don't want to belong to many motorcycle clubs. Hopefully the following answers the question asked in a positive way. The instructions dated 10/15 give the following information:

The 4 wire bunch (longer HT lead)
Red red from pickup
Green green from stator
Brown connection on coil (note : this will be the front coil)
White earth tag

The 5 wire bunch (shorter HT lead)
Red black from pickup
Black connection on rear coil
White earth tag on coil
Blue earth on frame

Note: red from pickup and black from pickup refer to the colours from a NLM pickup. Original Morini pickups are both red and labelled 1 and 2
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Thank you Jond, you have cleared up one of the questions as I didn't know NLM made their own pickup so that explains the black wire. Presumably white in the 4 wire bunch one also goes to the earth tag on the rear coil? That couple of words is also missing on the instructions Duncan kindly sent me.

I'll be totally transparent here, I actually have no need for this unit as I have gone 12v battery ignition and am currently running a home brew Boyer MkIII which has a tendency to kick back when starting. So I was intending to offer it for sale here first then on Ebay but wanted to test it first if possible as I'm trying to get enough funds together to get a Sachse unit.

Cheers,

Kamel.