Nuts!!

jb666

Nuts!!

Post by jb666 »

Anyone have a die nut to run down the exhaust nuts on a 3 1/2? I checked back through the forums and a couple of people tried this and wondered how they got on.

John.
julianharty

Re: Nuts!!

Post by julianharty »

I have both a tap and a die and use them as and when I've scruffy exhaust nuts or exhaust ports. I've several 350 bikes and several 501 bikes (which use a larger thread). I believe using the tap/die does help improve the ease of the nut fitting into the head.

I bought the tap and die on eBay, there are some that are tolerable prices and others that I can't justify paying even though they may be better quality tools. I seem to remember my tap was relatively inexpensive. There are occasionally sellers who have a used item or a one-off they sell cheap.

To provide context, I buy tools whenever I have a reason to do so. Your needs and habits may vary.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Could you kindly post a picture? I don´t have any idea of what or how is a die or tap :oops: :roll:
Ming

Post by Ming »

Norbert, tools for cutting threads. Tap for an inside thread (nut), die for an outside thread (Bolt or screw).
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

In the first instance, save yourself some money by modifying an old exhaust nut to do the job.

Photos of mine attached- cut into the thread at 90 degrees in 3 places around the nut and then file a lead in to the new edge.

Will do a pretty good job of cleaning up head threads and significantly reduces the risk of cutting a cross thread which you might do with a tap.

Obviously if the head is really mullered this won’t help much but then a tap probably wouldn’t either, unless you’ve had a insert welded into the head and need a completely new thread (at which point you may as well use an expert like Paul Compton to to do the job for you)
Attachments
37F78D51-AA24-47AA-81C3-53AA2E8B8EEF.jpeg
37F78D51-AA24-47AA-81C3-53AA2E8B8EEF.jpeg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Of course I’ve just re-read your post and realised it’s the nut you want cleaning up not the head… but the above info may still be of use to others
norbert

Post by norbert »

Thanks for the aclaracion!

The easiest way trying to save a nut would be a thread file, a very useful tool anyway
k-DSCI1091.JPG
k-DSCI1091.JPG (101.3 KiB) Viewed 2680 times