Regulator/Rectifier

Aberdonian

Regulator/Rectifier

Post by Aberdonian »

I need a Regulator/Rectifier ( 6Volt 18Amp 104Watts ) for my 1980 250cc Morini V-twin. Either a OE replacement or an equivalent. Can anyone help or offer advice?
Thank you,
Bob.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I have a unit from a 1984 Kanguro X1, this may work as my Kanguro has the dual 6v/12v system. Let me know, I can send pictures and connection details if required.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

The best advice is to convert to 12v, it's not difficult or very expensive.

David
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

David

Have you got any details on the 12v conversion?, I have seen a drawing with notes in german on another website but am looking to perform a 12v conversion on my Kanguro engine.

Regards

Robin
SupermotoDave

6 -> 12 Volt

Post by SupermotoDave »

12v for a 250 and a Kanguro X or X2 is a different matter ( I think) as the Kanguro runs a direct 12v headlight whereas all the 250 is 6v.
Best thing to do with a Kanguro X or X2 (X3s are 12V) or Camel Mk1/2 is to rewire to standard roadbike type wiring, but a 250 just needs a regulator( I think). I am already out of my depth now, others may explain.

David
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

David

I am converting my Kanguro to 12v by rewiring the alternator coils, also regarding rewiring I am fitting a BMW K75 wiring loom as I am using BMW switchgear on my rebuild.

Regards

Robin
Aberdonian

Regulator/Rectifier

Post by Aberdonian »

Thanks for all info. in response to my request for a regulator/rectifier.
One reason I didn't want to go to 12volts was I've changed all the bulbs to 6v Quartz Halogen, and the lights were OK. Another reason is there is not enough room in the battery carrier for a 12v battery. So, I'm still in the market for a 6v regulator, an equivalent off another make of bike, or the name of someone who could repair the duff one I have,
Aberdonian

Regulator/Rectifier

Post by Aberdonian »

Thanks for all info. in response to my request for a regulator/rectifier.
One reason I didn't want to go to 12volts was I've changed all the bulbs to 6v Quartz Halogen, and the lights were OK. Another reason is there is not enough room in the battery carrier for a 12v battery. So, I'm still in the market for a 6v regulator, an equivalent off another make of bike, or the name of someone who could repair the duff one I have,
Jem

6v regulator & rectifier

Post by Jem »

You might have trouble find something. Early brit bike with 6v alternators didn't have a regulator but isolated 2 out of 3 windings when on sidelights. Most jap bikes are three phase so their control boxes are not really suitable. My Ducati 350 single (70's vintage) had a 6v electrics with a single phase alternator so you might find a control box for one of those - but it'll be old!

You could try http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com./goffyelectrex.htm who sells stuff aimed at brit bikes but there is no reason why it won't work on the 250V .

I know you've made you mind up about sticking with 6v but apart from availability of components there is the disadvantage that voltage losses due to poor contact between wire & connector and connector & connector have a greater effect on the brightness of 6v lights.

I haven't seen the alternator for a 250V but if it's the same as other road bikes I 'm not sure that the control unit for an X1 will work. The X1 has a five lead cable from the alternator - isolate the read lead and it works fine at 12v - so it seems that the control unit is a bit trick.
Aberdonian

Regulator/Rectifier

Post by Aberdonian »

Thanks, Jem, for your encouragement and info. The search goes on!