Veglia speedo repair

Maestro, SEI-V
Seagreen

Re: Veglia speedo repair

Post by Seagreen »

Hi Graham and Pedro, thanks for your comments regarding your experiences with Speedycables. I sent them an email last week but have heard nothing back as yet. I will give them until the end of this week and if no reply, my decision will have been made as to who to use.
Thanks again,
Adios,
Charles
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Have spoken further to speedycables this morning. They say the instrument is calibrated correctly having checked it again.
But they "suspect" interference from the engine is causing the problem! I "suspect" bull****. But they will fit a suppressor ( I think that is what she said ) inside that might help!!!!! And then they will return it to me. I won't be sending it back to Wales
I don't think they are capable of working on the Veglia electronic version, so can't recommend them for this. However the speedo they did is perfect.
Graham
buzby

Post by buzby »

Interesting to hear these problems with Speedycables. I also have a faulty electronic tacho and I first contacted Peter Bond as he has done some excellent work for me . He was of the opinion that my tacho was not repairable going by the description of the fault, the needle goes to max revs as soon as the power is connected. There must be some company or person out there that can repair these tachos.
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The chip used in the Veglia electronic tachometers has been obsolete for decades. There is no direct replacement, so a new circuit board design is needed.

There are a couple out there. One is quite expensive and the other is a build it yourself 'opren source' design. There may be other's I've not found.

It's on my list of things to do, but a long way down.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

I am a graduated electronic ignorant, that´s for sure!
But maybe the following link can help a bit if the problem is not the mecanic one. There was an article about that stuff in our La Strega Nr. 118 (winter 2016) with a lot of pictures. I guess the how to do download offer the same pictures. There is a circuit board made in Belgium that can replace a defect one :wink:
http://revcounter.motomoriniclub.nl/

norbert
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Norbert,
I thank you for that information.
Graham.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Graham

I can check the operation of your tachometer across the whole rev range I have the necessary equipment.

I still think the issue is related to the earth terminal connection and it may well be due to the strange earth nut,
this is removable and should be cleaned.
Mark
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Mark
That is a thought, when I get it back I'll have a good look at that terminal. On a restored instrument you may have expected it done. :( :roll:
Everything crossed
Graham
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Thanks for all of your comments and replies, and sorry to have stirred up old wounds; it does sound like the experiences with Speedycables are very mixed. Not heard back from them so will probably go with Peter Bond unless I find another instrument repairer.
Thanks again,
Charles
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Mark
Got the Tacho back yesterday, it still looks lovely but I don't know if it works! But I have noticed the needle seems to be more willing to move about? When handling
I'll have a look at the earth post as well, the small brass nut and the alloy spacer block? For cleanliness.
Graham.
Ming

Post by Ming »

As an aside, I have an electronic speedo that appears to be working. I don't know about the calibration, and it needs a new glass. But if anyone wants / needs one...
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Ming,
Just to confirm is it an electronic Tacho or speedo you mention. If a Tacho and appearing to work I would be interested.
Graham.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Not heard anything from Speedy Cables so have contacted Peter Bond.
Perhaps Speedy Cables should think about a name change so as not to disappoint?

Adios,
Charles
Ming

Post by Ming »

Can't see how to attach a photo to a PM, so I attach here - sorry if it's a hijack.
Veglia electronic tacho, broken glass but works (calibration not checked).
Tacho.JPG
Tacho.JPG (134.38 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Tacho verso.JPG
Tacho verso.JPG (131.6 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Ming definitely would like this Tacho as mine after a second trip to speedy cables is showing no signs of life :x
So maybe I can make a good one out of the two :?:
If it's easier give me a call 07866 521955
Cheers
Graham.