routing of cable - starter to relay

Maestro, SEI-V
kmamac

routing of cable - starter to relay

Post by kmamac »

Could a kind person who has NOT ditched the starter motor on their 500 describe to me the precise routing of the cable from the starter to the relay. It all looks very close to the chain and sprocket and I would like it to be correct. I am making up new cables so can route it how I like. As an aside I took the starter to bits and was surprised to see grease has migrated all the way up to the brushes! Suspect it had long since given up being an effective means of starting. A thorough clean and a quick tickle up on the lathe and its all looking sweet again.
Thanks in advance for info
Keith MM
p.s In know the starters heavy and a marginal device even when new but I'm restoring the machine back to as new so I do want it attached and working. So don't suggest I don't bother :lol:
3potjohn

Re: routing of cable - starter to relay

Post by 3potjohn »

Well on the 350 the cable runs rearwards exiting the case, near the swing arm pivot and then up the frame tube.Mine was near the chain but I've re-routed it slightly. The end attached to my relay was retained by a fine bolt which almost touched the frame,which was interesting. It should not be near the chain area inside the case of course so you can adjust the angle of the clamp end on the starter motor bolt.I have had a go at my motor.It has a new chain,the old one was thrashing about. It also has a new oil seal as the old oil was weeping out.I did have it seen to by a local starter motor chappie a year ago after it stopped turning. He said a number of things were worn e.g. brushes and needed sorting,which he did and charged me some money for.Something else about armatures,warped and skimmed but I cannot recall the details right now.
Is the old oil clear, absent or "brassy" in which latter case an expensive bit is wearing out.I also find that the shoes sometimes slip a bit in the starter " ring" and wipe this out with solvent occassionally.What with the gunge from the chain and road dirt/water coming in at the front of the case it's not the best environment in there is it.
I know it's heavy and many folk suggest dumping the motor, but i find it useful especially if the bike is sporting panniers or a passenger and I am damned if I can master kicking the thing with my left foot whilst astride the bike.
5 of my last bikes have had starter motors and that includes a T160(why did I sell it?) but this is the only bike where I know about the starter.Must tell you something I guess!
Haboola72

Re: routing of cable - starter to relay

Post by Haboola72 »

Just reviving this post to confirm that the short cable from starter relay goes to the starter motor,(this is on a 501 camel)
long cable from relay goes to battery+
and a third independent earthing cable goes from battery negative post to a bolt on engine case.

The thing that puzzles me are the two small spade terminals on the relay . They take the feed from the starter button, does it matter which way they're attached?
Any help would be appreciated , I know John is well informed regarding starter motor issues.