More barrel questions.

Maestro, SEI-V
John Bunting

Re: More barrel questions.

Post by John Bunting »

Jem wrote:Andy,

a friend has asked me to post the following. He has spent time in the past tuning 478/501 motors.

"The 507 barrels are a larger diameter on the spigot and therefore the holes in the crankcase are larger. If he fits 478 barrels they will drop in but won't have the integrity or rigidity as the barrels will be a sloppy fit. When I fitted 507 barrels to a 478 crankcase I had to turn a 2mm (I think) off the spigot diameter. He needs therefore 478 crankcases and to fit 70mm pistons which will bring him up to 496cc just under the 500 limit.

If he intends to race, then he should use forged pistons not the Morini ones with the split skirts as the skirt where the hole ends the split has a tendency to crack and break off. I have rebuilt a number of engines which when on stripping have had this problem either a crack propagating to the edge or the bottom already broken off. The pistons I had made some time ago were forged because at the time Asso only had one piston with no intention of making anymore."

He was offering a 500 which had been worked on, a couple of months ago. I'll ask if it's still available.

Jem
Hi Jem,
I hope you don't mind my jumping in to your thread,
Please can you find out if the forged 70mm pistons you friend used had the combustion chamber in the piston crown and who made them if so.
Thanks
John
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Wolfgang Tritsch has forged pistons.

http://mitglied.multimania.de/wtritsch/
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the Wolfgang Tritsch piston info, at Eu199.50 (a pr??) the price is not bad compared to American JE or Wiseco forged pistons I have bought, I would guess made by Wahl Spezial Kolben who will make in small quantities?
I’m still looking for a spare engine to build up with a roller crank and will wait till one comes along.
Did you manage to sell your XRT?
Regards
john
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, Omega can supply 70mm pistons with the correct combustion shape in the crown Ref 3825 but I think its to order only. Further they may be willing to supply any bore you desire.
Also its possible to fit new cast iron liners in the alloy barrels. Any good engineering shop should be able to machine liners from blanks to fit etc, giving even more choice !
Good luck, take care, Ian.
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

Thanks Ian,
I will look in to this and find out some prices.
Andy