External Oil Filter

Maestro, SEI-V
sheddweller

External Oil Filter

Post by sheddweller »

I have decided to fit an additional, spin on filter to my Sei while I have the crankcases apart. I do accept that the centrifugal filter does a good job, but can't see that the Crankshaft, and eventually oilways, are the best place to store this contaminated material. I have seen the pickup welded to the top of the LHS crankcase cover, and another which utilizes a cut out in the clutch inspection cover to access a fitting bored into the gallery. I'd like to read some opinions on these locations and any others. To allow the filter and housing to sit out of sight behind the LHS side cover, I'm limited in Filter Heads, but the one from a Norton Commando looks like a possibility. It uses a 16x1.5mm thread, which stunned me! on a Norton!, but it will accept the little spin ons from any Belt Drive Ducati, or a 2CV. At least these have an anti drainback valve which the Norton original doesn't offer. The bypass option on these vary between 12 and 23psi.
While i'm ruining the originality (only by the crankcase cover) the other option would be to fit the LHS crankcase covers from a Dart as they do offer the pickup and return bosses. Does anyone know if these are interchangeable?
Is that the rumbling of purist bellies I hear?
Regards.