Tyre choice

Maestro, SEI-V
Coxey

Tyre choice

Post by Coxey »

I have a 1980 500 Sport.
I'm thinking of treating it to some new tyres... does anyone have any info on what would be worth considering?:?
Steve Scott

Tyre choice

Post by Steve Scott »

I've tried different tires over the years on my 500 and am partial to Metzelers, particularly the ME33 on the front. My bike seems to like a narrower tire, it minimizes turning effort and reduces the tendency to straighten up if I have to brake mid-turn. I used to ride much more aggresively than I do now, and one of the nice things about a light bike is that you can run pretty soft tires and still not burn them off too quickly. Nowadays I'm more concerned with longevity and just replaced a ME33/ME88 set with Avon Roadrunners ( 90/90-18 on the front instead of my normal 100/90-18 ). We'll see how these do, maybe Supervenoms would've been a better choice?
1979 500 Sport
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

The tyres on my 1981 500 Sport are getting old (5 years), although not very worn due to low mileage. My bike is fitted with Avon Roadrunners and the bike is very unwilling to turn in to a corner when braking. I have the 90/90H18 on the front as well. Is there any noticeable difference after changing brand from the Metzeler to the Avon? Are there any other factors affecting turn in apart from tyre size / type?
Steve Scott

Turn in

Post by Steve Scott »

I don't know Owen, I always thought that a tendency to "stand up" or run wide under braking was due largely to the contact patch being off center and this would be more extreme in a wider tire. I haven't had mine out yet on the 90/90-18 front so I can't speak to a difference yet. Maybe the effect is more pronounced on the Sports because the clip-ons provide less leverage to the rider.
1979 500 Sport
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

Steve, let me know how you get on with the Avon vs the Metzeler. I probably tend to brake too deep into the corner as I spend a lot more time in the car than on the bike. I always have to concentrate to come off the brakes before the bend on the bike, but sometimes get caught out! I thought that maybe the harder tyre's limited grip (especially when 5 years old) just can't generate turn in as well as braking force and that a gripier tyre might help. I suppose the answer is to ride better, but good tyres always help.
Steve Scott

Tires

Post by Steve Scott »

OK, a hundred miles to get the mold release off and scuff them a bit. Then a trip to a show in Germantown, MD and these are my observations:
1) The Avon Roadrunner has more cold grip than the Metzelers did.
2) The Avons feel “harderâ€￾ and less compliant, especially the front.
3) Turn-in is much quicker with the Avons, likely because of the 90/90 front.
4) My impression is that there’s less tendency to straighten under braking.
5) The Avons feel much more “preciseâ€￾, so much so that I can now feel that it’s time to do the swingarm bushings. Apparently the Metzelers masked this somehow, either because of their size or construction. They may be more forgiving, but they’re also a bit “numbâ€￾ feeling.

I haven’t yet and likely won’t test absolute grip as I don’t ride like that anymore, but my impression so far is that the Avon Roadrunners in 90/90H18 front and 120/90H18 rear are an excellent set of tires that well match the Morinis character. In this case smaller is better!

Incidentally, the Morini proved a good ambassador for the marque at the show, drawing a lot of attention from spectators and judges alike. She left with a first place plaque tucked in her tankbag!
1979 500 Sport
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

thanks for all this info... Living on an island full of twisty backroads it looks as though I may be getting a pair of Avons, then! :wink:
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

DAMN :!:
Now I'm in a pickle - I've just read this month's Classic Bike - Morini supplement - and in it one of the contributors says that everyone should use Bridgestone BTs - he swears by them :!: :?
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I must confess I am a Bridgestone tyre fan, the BT range also have the dual compound which has a harder centre and soft shoulders which prevents the premature squaring off you get with some tyres. I know older Avon Roadrunners I have used in the past tended to suffer from this.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Steve Scott

Tires

Post by Steve Scott »

I'm currently running a set of BT45V's on my Moto Guzzi and they're great tires. I'll probably try a set when I get tired (:lol:) of the Avon's.
1979 500 Sport
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

I confirm BT45 are a good choice for the 500. But I must confess I never tried the Avon.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
morinisport

Tyre Choice

Post by morinisport »

Have followed this thread more or less from the start as it coincided with the need to replace the tyres on the 500sport. After several years of morinis 31/2 & 500 and various tyres I decided that the Avons were long overdue for a try.

Now been running them for about 3-4 weeks - wish I had put them on sooner!

The handling of the 500 has been transformed, added to the nice high temperatures at the moment I am having a ball.
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

So, by the sounds of it - as long as I replace the absolutely diabolical 'made-in-taiwan' tyres [that are about as useful as a chocolate teapot] with either Avons or Bridgestones I'm going to be fine :lol:
Weeelp

Tyres

Post by Weeelp »

Hi all,
I replaced my tyres (Roadrunners) last winter, and decided to try a Supervenon set. -The front is only available in 100/90; -but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.
My advice is don't do it, -not only is the handling a bit tippy, but the tyres edge has cracked already. The tread is virtaully new, but both tyres are about to be replaced due to cracking.
Also, the front never really beaded properly. I have had 3 seperate bike shops and even a car tyre centre look at it, and we've tried all sorts of soap, slippery fluids, and hugh pressures and there is still a slight dip.
I'm going back to AM20s and wish I'd never tried the experiment!
Just for reference the bike is an all weather commuter in London.