501/350 exhaust

Maestro, SEI-V
moggie

501/350 exhaust

Post by moggie »

Hi all,
I recently posted about my 350 fitted with a late 501 engine having 26mm carbs rather than the 28mm it should be wearing, this was as a result of going on my old friends "dyna pro" dynometer and finding that the bike was only putting out 29 bhp at the back wheel. I had been aware that mine was slower than other such beasties at Cadwell. My friend was of the opinion that it was being choked by the very quiet silencers, with nothing much to lose I drilled a couple of holes in the baffles, and what a difference on the road, pulling much stronger. I went back on the dyno today and although it has no more horses, the torque curve is now much stronger, the side effect of losing some of the back pressure is that the bike is now much easier to start, which has always been a problem with this bike.
I have now thought about getting a purpose built exhaust made over winter and am anxious to avoid the many pitfalls that this could entail.
Has anybody had experience of doing this? have you any measurements/ dimensions for a successful system, or anything at all that would point me in the right direction.
It would need to get through an MOT and also pass the scrutineers at Cadwell, other than that, a healthy V twin roar would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pete