New owner, potentially

Maestro, SEI-V
Clive

New owner, potentially

Post by Clive »

Hi.
First time posting. After selling a three and a half strada 20 years ago I have, by way of a friend of a friend, the opportunity to purchase a one owner 1982-1983 500 sport that as been dry stored for about ten years.
I'm going to view it tomorrow.
Any info on re-commissioning would be appreciated.
If anyone is interested I'll keep you posted.
I'm very excited!
Steve Brown

Re: New owner, potentially

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Clive, assuming it was all operational before storage it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Make sure the engine is free and not stuck whilst standing, change the engine oil and the cam belt (but I bet you knew that already) before trying to start it.
It would be best to remove the float bowls too, and see what the insides look like. If the carbs were not well drained you may have some cleaning work to do there. All the other fluids should be changed too i.e. brake fluid, fork oil, and most likely the battery too.
The tyres and tubes should be given a close inspection for perishing and hardened rubber-again the care taken (or not) in storage will make a difference here. Most people would replace them as a matter of course.
The rest will be making sure cables and levers are lubed and switches/contacts etc are not corroded or too dried out-something like ACF50 sprayed liberally on all these points is well worth while.
Hope you get a nice bike!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi Steve.
Thanks for that.
I've seen a couple of posts about condensation damaging valve gear, bearings etc so I guess I was wanting a bit of reassurance that being in storage - I realise the conditions of storage play a big role, isn't necessarily such a bad thing.
I suppose it is a case of caveat emptor.
You know how it is though, a glimpse of a sexy Italian model and all logic disappears through the window!
Fingers crossed because according to my friend it is a well looked after, clean example.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes if it was damp storage I might worry about those things but they will soon become apparent when you run it. So I'd say suck it and see. I know what you mean about temptation, I can't resist it either.
Not many Morinis get left with dirty old sump oil in em and something even reasonably well serviced should be a safe bet-But you've already decided haven't you? :wink: Go on save the poor thing, you know you want to.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi Steve.
Well I bought it! It is a Y registered sport. In good condition overall, a bit of corrosion of the frame around the rear foot peg hangers, right bottom frame rail and swingarm but other than that all seems well.
Basically standard other than pod filters and a 2-1 s/s 'zorst, although the po has the airbox so that's good.
Gonna pick it up next week.
Just a couple of things, will the 2-1 affect the setting up/running of the bike and the discs are showing a bit of corrosion. Does anyone know the best solution for the discs? Skim and re-chrome or just use and don't fret?
Cheers
norbert

Post by norbert »

Congratumacions Clive :P

The discs: I would first take the second option: use it an forget it if it works. Have a look at the calipers to be sure that the pistons are moving fine.

Like Stece said: dont try to start the engine without changing the oil before!

I once bought a 501 motor in Spain that was out of use for many years. Controling the oil level, I was happy to see, that the oil had the color of honey. Wow, it was put aside with fresh oil :D Ithought. When I changed it I found about three mm of black mud at the bottom :roll: After cleaning with a rag around a wire for the hole of the oilfilter I put some liters of gasoil inside gave it a good shake washing it that way inside. Put fresh oil inside and after finding out the reason for the long years without use (the steering times have been out of order) riding it for about 40 mil km without opening the motor.

good luck with that signorina :wink:

norbert
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Clive wrote:Hi Steve.
Well I bought it! It is a Y registered sport. In good condition overall, a bit of corrosion of the frame around the rear foot peg hangers, right bottom frame rail and swingarm but other than that all seems well.
Basically standard other than pod filters and a 2-1 s/s 'zorst, although the po has the airbox so that's good.
Gonna pick it up next week.
Just a couple of things, will the 2-1 affect the setting up/running of the bike and the discs are showing a bit of corrosion. Does anyone know the best solution for the discs? Skim and re-chrome or just use and don't fret?
Cheers

Well congratulations! I'd agree with Norbert about using the discs and let the pads do the work for you, but I am a known tightwad :roll: I'd bet the air filters would cause more upset than the exhaust but that depends whose exhaust it is. The couple I tried made different noises but didn't give or take away any performance that I could detect. Definitely sounded faster though...Sounds like a good re-commission session should give you a usable bike-test it as it is then decide if you want to change anything. Summer won't be long coming!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

norbert wrote:Congratumacions Clive :P

(the steering times have been out of order)

norbert
Tag Norbert, darf ich eine frage stellen? heisst 'steering times' ventil stuerung einstellung? Ich interessier mich nur!

Tchuss!
Clive

Post by Clive »

Thanks for that.
Don't know what the exhaust is. As I said it's stainless and terminates in a short pea shooter style mega on the offside.
Oil and belt change definitely on first to do list, then as you say I can get on the road and give her a good shakedown to highlight any thing extra that is needed.
It's been 20 years since my last ride on a Morini and I hope that I aren't expecting too much, the problem is they look like they're doing a 100mph whilst they're still on the stand.
Roll on next Saturday.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Steve Brown wrote:
norbert wrote:Congratumacions Clive :P

(the steering times have been out of order)

norbert
Tag Norbert, darf ich eine frage stellen? heisst 'steering times' ventil stuerung einstellung? Ich interessier mich nur!

Tchuss!

:P Hi Steve,

that´s what i was trying to tell, My english has gone really worse in the last decades for nearly not using ita at all :oops: :lol:
In the case of that motor it seemed that the spanish owner changed the timing belt at the pms of ignicion. Taking the belt of in that posicion the camchaft will have a goog turn because of the springs of the rear cilinder are under presion. Obviosly he could not detect the fault and was thinking that something was wrong with the motor.

Clive, surely you will be impresed with that bike! Actually you won´t have the power of a modern 500/600, but the spirit and the feeling conducting a morini is the thing :wink:

norbert

ciao norbert