Replacement regulator / rectifier

Maestro, SEI-V
demood

Replacement regulator / rectifier

Post by demood »

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement, modern regulator / rectifier unit please?
I have fitted an Electrex World unit but I am not convinced that it is doing it's job correctly or that I have the correct unit. The instructions say to not connect the red wire from the stator to anything if there is about 60vac between the two yellow wires and to just leave it free.
Surely the red wire must be needed for something?
Thanks in anticipation.
Chris
EVguru

Re: Replacement regulator / rectifier

Post by EVguru »

demood wrote:Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement, modern regulator / rectifier unit please?
I have fitted an Electrex World unit but I am not convinced that it is doing it's job correctly or that I have the correct unit. The instructions say to not connect the red wire from the stator to anything if there is about 60vac between the two yellow wires and to just leave it free.
Surely the red wire must be needed for something?
Thanks in anticipation.
Chris
Morini rectifiers don't work like most other bikes that dump excess energy from the alternator as heat, instead they turn off the controlled rectifiers (or more accurately don't turn them on). One of the design features is that they won't charge a battery that's under about 9.5 volt. That is seen by some as a fault, but it avoids trying to charge a battery with a faulty cell, which could cause the battery to spew acid, or to burn out the charge coils. Ask 1980's Suzuki owners about failed alternators! It also means that a faulty ignition switch can prevent the battery being charged. Over the years I have had two regulators that the owners were convinced were faulty sent to me (at my request) and having tested them as being in perfect working order, I've sold them on.

The red wire is needed for the stock half wave controlled rectifier.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I fitted a NLM one some time back it's still working fine,
heres the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1937
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi.
Have you looked at a regulator for a Lambretta scooter. I've seen somewhere, I think it was the dutch morini site that the coil for the Lambretta is been sold as a replacement for one of the Morini transduser types.
The lambretta electronic ignition system is very similar in operation to the Morini.
It might be a long shot but you never know.