Carb issue

Maestro, SEI-V
Clive

Carb issue

Post by Clive »

Removed the carbs of my newly acquired 500 for a clean and I've come across a little problem.
What i thought was a missing screw from the top turned out to be a broken one!
I'm a bit wary of drilling it out for fear of damaging the threads in the soft body.
Any ideas or will I just have to chance it?
2volts

Re: Carb issue

Post by 2volts »

Very hard to do with a hand held drill without damage the threads
Do you have a drill press and a way of securely holding the carb in place?
You will need a stud removal tool. Ezi-out?
Drill a hole and screw the tool in which loosens and removes the broken screw at the same time.
Start with a short and small diameter drill bit.
Increase until big enough to insert the tool.
EVguru

Re: Carb issue

Post by EVguru »

I've just sucessfully removed a broken M4 fastener from the distribotor body of my Honda Beat.

Your Dellorto is likely to be a whole lot more difficult.

To an automotive or engineering shop an EZ-out is known as an....

"Why the **** didn't you bring it to us first before breaking off an EZ-out in it too!"

If you have a completely flat end to the bolt, you have a chance of picking up the precise centre. If you can drill that centre in stages to the tapping size (3.3mm for M4) then the remains of the thread can be carefull unwound and the thread chased with a tap to clean it up. You may have to go slightly larger on the drill and as long as you've got 50% thread engagement left, you should be fine.

If you get yourself some left hand drill bits, then there is often the possibity that the drill will just grab the screw and unscrew it as you try to drill.

If you can't drill into a flat end, then you really need to set up in a milling machine, align up over the hole and use a slot drill to form the flat before drilling.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru