500 v/s 350/501 anyone?

Maestro, SEI-V
tomros

500 v/s 350/501 anyone?

Post by tomros »

This weekend i rode my 500 and 501 camel on the same day. I know, the 501 is a totally different game of play, but how come the 501 engine is such a nice runner, mechanicly speaking, compared to the older 500? I know, the 501 are Nicasil bores, and have a shoter stroke right, but how come that the 501 is a much more quite engine? Also compared to the 350, even compared to the older 'A' and newer 'K' types, the pistons of the 500 are making twice as much noise..it is not the tappets i am hearing, but the pistons seem to 'shake' more into their cillinder, kind of a metallic sound. I have noticed this on two 500's, my Camel which actually has new pistons running in, and a street 500 which has new oversize pistons. Anyone noticed more sound producing on their 500?
EVguru

Re: 500 v/s 350/501 anyone?

Post by EVguru »

tomros wrote:This weekend i rode my 500 and 501 camel on the same day. I know, the 501 is a totally different game of play, but how come the 501 engine is such a nice runner, mechanicly speaking, compared to the older 500? I know, the 501 are Nicasil bores, and have a shoter stroke right, but how come that the 501 is a much more quite engine? Also compared to the 350, even compared to the older 'A' and newer 'K' types, the pistons of the 500 are making twice as much noise..it is not the tappets i am hearing, but the pistons seem to 'shake' more into their cillinder, kind of a metallic sound. I have noticed this on two 500's, my Camel which actually has new pistons running in, and a street 500 which has new oversize pistons. Anyone noticed more sound producing on their 500?
The stroke is the same, whilst the bore is bigger.

The big difference is the Gillardoni barrels. Rather than having Iron liners, the Aluminium alloy of the barrel is plated to form a working surface. The piston and barrel alloy will expand at the same rate and so can have much smaller clearances and run quieter.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Tom

Re: 500 v/s 350/501 anyone?

Post by Tom »

Yes The Gilardoni's are a miracle, you must hear the 350 kanguro X1 my brother is riding: his bike is absolutely nasty to look at, but ohhh, she runs so nice.. The Dart 400 also ticks over beautifully.. makes the old 500 of my friend sound like an old London double decker compared to it :wink: