Sei v or not Sei v, that is the question

Maestro, SEI-V
Clive

Sei v or not Sei v, that is the question

Post by Clive »

Hi.
Does anyone know exactly when the six speed was introduced.
My '82 sport - well registered in 82 anyway, has the sport badge on the top yoke, gold wheels, plastic chainguard and painted mudguards along with the mechanical tach and swept back instrument binnacle but it has the five speed box.
Just curious.
Regards
Clive
MickeyMoto

Re: Sei v or not Sei v, that is the question

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Clive,

I think it was introduced in about 81 on the continent and 82 in UK. The difference is in the paintwork as far as I can see. The later model has different striping on the tank.

My ex-6 speed was manufactured in 81 but was an import. Mine was the same as yours except the grey wheels. Maybe the engine has been swapped at some point? Does it have Sei-V on the side panels?

hth

Mike.
exoticices

Post by exoticices »

I believe the frame numbers known to the club for the Sei-V run from 5549 to 5972.
These are only those known to the club, not necessarily the first & last made by the factory.
The UK importer may (or may not) have stamped the frame number onto the engine.
The frame numbers known to the club for the earlier non-Sei-V 500 run from 3001 to 5204.
Hope that helps!
John
John
https://www.facebook.com/xiaomei.griffiths
In a fifty mile race I am the best, I ride five miles and skid the rest.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi.
Thanks for that. The engine and frame bear the same number - 05183, this makes it a pre six speed as the number of cogs in the box confirm!
Like I said in my original post I was just curious because most of the info I can find in books and on t'web say 82' and mechanical tach were the change over points.
How ever many cogs the bike has makes no difference to me because I absolutely love it.
Done 3000 miles since mid April when I got the bike MOT'd after been stood idle with the previous owner for a fair while.
Things I like - the lovely torquey lazy nature of the motor but still with a decent top end punch, the way it gathers speed deceptively quick.
The firm and progressive anchors that stop you confidently, the way the motor never outclasses the chassis.
The comfy riding position provided by clip ons and tarozzi rear sets although to be honest the comfort could be increased by replacing the shot seat foam/padding.
The styling (although it's a bit 'glitzy' with the gold wheels etc but it was the 80's after all) is superb especially with the 2-1 zorst fitted to the bike, it looks just like what it is - a classic Italian bike and we all know that the Italians are masters at styling.
Things I don't like - the rear header pipes voracious appetite for jeans. I've burn't a hole in 2 pairs! Seems the small perforated heat shield fitted to the pipe doesn't- shield heat that is.
Clive
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Many bikes were converted to mechanical tachometers over the years if the electronic original failed.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

EVguru wrote:Many bikes were converted to mechanical tachometers over the years if the electronic original failed.
... because they are better and more reliable :wink: :lol:

norbert
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

When the UK Morini Club visited the factory in September 1981 there were 500 Sei V's rolling off the Morini factory line in Bologna; as other posts have noted they were introduced in Europe that year. The UK always got new models a little later than those on the Continent - perhaps Harglo were after a discount and so waited for the excitement to die down!

I kept my 5-speed 500 for eight years from 1980 and something like 60,000 miles, only sold it when I was tempted by a Dart (and I first saw one of those in Bologna...)

Good riding!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Clive

Post by Clive »

Thanks to all.
EV I hear what you're saying but the tach and speedo dial have the same level of patina so a conversion is unlikely.
My bet is the bike was in storage somewhere and registered a year or so after manufacture, which I think was common with both Italian cars and bikes around that period.
On a different note fitted some of NLM's pick ups today, after some issues with the original set I purchased- which NLM sorted very efficiently,
I am really pleased with them.
Put 150 miles on the bike with them fitted and I can say that the bike runs much smoother and revs out far more eagerly.
I can definitely recommend them as a worthwhile upgrade from the originals.
I have owned many bikes from a lot of different marques but I can honestly say the Morini is my favourite.
I think this a keeper.

Clive
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Clive,

You will find lots of members with fond members of their 500's.
We all sold for different reasons but none of us sold for better.
To confirm your thoughts I purchased my 500 strada new from Chapmans of York in 1981.
The bike has stood in their showroom unregistered for sometime and I believe was manufactured in 1978.
The bike had several adventures including the 81 factory visit and was eventually sold in 89.
Enjoy your 500, it is one of Lambertini's best.
Pm me with your email details if you want more information, as I have one or two old road tests.

Paul