500 pickup/transducer

Maestro, SEI-V
joseb42

500 pickup/transducer

Post by joseb42 »

SWOP BLACK 500 pickup and rotor for my RED versions

My 500 engine had grey tranducer's fitted by Alex at NLM many years ago. Since then it had always been difficult to start but now it is impossible to get any sparks.
These grey transducer are marked "functions only with black pickup". It turns out my pick-up is red ie will not work as it incorporates an extra diode.
So does anyone have a spare black pickup (and rotor?) I can swap or buy or what have you.
Any help appreciated if there are any ignition guru's out there.
Once running again this 76 Strada with 478 engine will be up for sale, hopefully by Easter.
Cheers, Joe. Text me 07792425917 or mail jbrownoxford@gmail.com if you can help.
Steve Brown

Re: 500 pickup/transducer

Post by Steve Brown »

Joe, can I talk to you about buying the bike as it stands please? I have a twin shock Camel with no engine and a 350 Strada engine with no chassis! Will pm later.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The grey ignition boxes will work with a red pickup. It shifts the ignition timing a few degrees, but also means you have to spin the engine faster to start.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
joseb42

Post by joseb42 »

Hi Paul, you are said ignition guru!
I too work in electronics, Ox'd Uni' Physics dep't.
Saw your reply. Yes red pick-up and grey transducer should work together after a fashion but mine do not. Any combination that I try of either pick-up coil and either tranducer still will not spark.
Saw your post and have checked out both grey transducers using battery/bulb trick and all ok.
My red pick-up is the second generation, according to Dutch Morini site, and has the correct rotor which means it can be substituted directly with a black pick-up. Do you have or can you get me a black pick-up that works. This would simplify my fault finding and overcome any double diode drop issues ie poor starting and ignition advance.
NLM will sell me there latest pick-up (£125=) but are unsure if it will work with my grey transducer's.
I should be able to check my original pick-up more thoroughly with a meter but do not know what diode/resistance readings to expect. Is this something you can tell me readilly?
Sorry to bombard you with questions just that I'm immersed in this issue right now and looking for a solution so I can finish an otherwise lovely bike.
Best regards
Joseph
joseb42

Post by joseb42 »

Paul
Looking at your u tube postings I see a high voltage power supply from a photo copier being used for transducer primary voltage. Can you make any suggestions as too what would be suitable ie Maplin/Farnell/CPC/Radio Spares partcode
Cheers,Joseph