478 cam timing

Maestro, SEI-V
joseb42

478 cam timing

Post by joseb42 »

Can somebody please correct me if this is wrong. I'm beginning to question my sanity regarding cam timing due to conflicting advice. Front cylinder TDC or PMS1 on rotor. Power stroke ie both valves closed ( rocker arms freed ). Morini manual states that cam pulley should have dimple mark at 12 o'clock position. Mine is at 6 o@clock. OK so turn crank through 360 degrees puts mark at 12 o'clock however valves are now open. ie completely wrong. Cam pulley is keyed so only fits on 1 way. Is there something fundamental that I'm completely missing? Loosing will to continue. Joseph
hendre

Re: 478 cam timing

Post by hendre »

I guess your belt was put on wrong. Crank makes two revolutions to the cam one to complete a full burning cycle. When putting a new belt you can easily ignore the timing marks on the crank and just put the front cylinder in TDC... :mrgreen:
You can correct this by taking the belt off, rotating the cranck to the next TDC and putting the belt on again. Or ignore the timing mark on the crank untill the next belt change :wink: