New owner 500/6

Maestro, SEI-V
kainsworth

New owner 500/6

Post by kainsworth »

Hi, I have just bought Jaydubs 500 Sport, I have fitted a NOS tank from NLM and now the leaks / bits in the tank have gone away. I do however have a question about the front brakes, between the top caliper fork mount and caliper is a think washer, this means the side of the caliper slot is oh so close to the disk, is this normal??

I had one of these new in 1984 from Jack Lilley and foolishly sold it, many years later the plan is to restore and ride or ride and restore, I cant remember the reg of my old one but there cant be too many B reg ones out there

Kevin
corsaro chris

Re: New owner 500/6

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the Forum - hope that you've joined the Club as well!

Common advice is always ride and restore - it's more fun and summers here!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

kainsworth wrote: between the top caliper fork mount and caliper is a think washer, this means the side of the caliper slot is oh so close to the disk, is this normal??

Kevin
Hi Kevin and welcome. There should be a a spacer there about 3 or 4 mm thick, rather than a washer. Maybe someone lost the original and substituted washers? Not difficult to make or I bet NLM have dozens on their shelves. I can measure one tomorrow for you if you like?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
kainsworth

Post by kainsworth »

Hi that sound like what I have I will have a play and try and equalise the slo, currently the caliper rubs on the disk at one point! Hopefully MOT soon..................
kainsworth

Post by kainsworth »

Problem identified....... the wheel is sitting 1mm ish to the riders right!!!! hence rubbing on each caliper, have taken it apart and reassembled and a bit better, sent for the manual from NLM to check the set up but it seems throttle side just the speedo drive, clutch side a stepped spacer, so although I do not now how, I now know why
kainsworth

Post by kainsworth »

Now with added first pass MOT............... :)