500 Front Brake

Maestro, SEI-V
AMF

500 Front Brake

Post by AMF »

Hello All,

I have just bought a 1978 500. Its had lots done to it over its recent past, the engine was rebuilt, new ignition, stripped and ultrasonically cleaned carbs, repainted, new bearings, cables etc. In fact everything you would want!!! very pleased with it, and thanks Bob for all the work you did on her!

The brakes are great, standard twin discs on the front, however they are very wooden. Is there anything that can be done to improve the feel? It already has new fluid, stainless hoses and NLM supplied pads. Would a smaller bore master cylinder do the trick? has anyone fitted an AP Lockheed adjustable ratio master cylinder? I have seen somewhere that you can fit a floating disc off a Ducati, does anyone know which model?

Also whats the best battery to fit? I have filched a 14ah Motobatt battery from my poorly Hinckley Triumph Tiger, which fits and seems to do the trick.

And one final question, Oil!! I was planning on using a Motorcycle Semi synthetic 10W40 oil by Morriss, any reason why not?

Thanks

Andy
EVguru

Re: 500 Front Brake

Post by EVguru »

The 19mm cylinder Morini fitted to twin disc bikes (350 or 500) does make the brakes feel wooden.

Use a 16mm mastercylinder as fitted to a single disc 350, they're quite reasonable new from NLM.

Fit the highest cranking amp battery that your wallet can stand, although the Motobatt is probably just fine.
Keeping the starter motor serviced is the main thing.

10W40 Semi is what's usually recommended.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
AMF

Post by AMF »

Thanks Paul
norbert

Post by norbert »

For years I had 16mm mater cylinder for my dobledisc. Then I tried a 13 mm Grimeca mastercylinder with two disks and stainless steel tubes. A two-finger-brake!

norbert
norbert

Post by norbert »

As I`m going to change Dulcinea from the 230 doblesimplex to two discs I was looking for the same master cilinder as I have in Rocinante and I could find one :P
It´s a 13 mm Grimeca with the tank a bit inclined for the use with clip ons. It´s quite small and apreciated for folks riding on circuits because it fits well fine behind the fairings.

It´s this one
k-DSCI0068.JPG
k-DSCI0068.JPG (34.51 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
pikl

Post by pikl »

Is that perhaps the Grimeca master cylinder that was otherwise used on Kanguro models? Not sure if they were 13mm, but I do know they looked very similar, with the plastic inclined tank.