Starter motor service and a battery question.....

Maestro, SEI-V
Saltspringer

Starter motor service and a battery question.....

Post by Saltspringer »

Hi

I have a 1981 500 with a non-functioning starter motor. On stripping it I found it has very worn bushes, worn out bronze gear, a fair amount of carbon gunk and a worn armature. A big thank you to Paul Compton who's very informative video made the strip pretty straight forward.

The armature is going to be skimmed and I am going to service everything; change seals and bearings, and would like to find out:

What is the correct oil to refill the stater motor gear box, bearing in mind it has to be bronze worm-gear compatible?

I have heard 25cc is the correct amount of oil, can anybody confirm this? Do you just fill to the point oil weeps from the screw hole under the fill plug?

The battery fitted to the bike is incorrect, dead and not marked with any model numbers. What battery do most people use that will fit and will provide the greatest amount of cranking amps?

Many thanks in anticipation for any help you can offer.

Cheers

Andy

Saltspring Island, BC, Canada
Andy Higgs

1981 Moto Morini 500
1945 WL 45 Harley Flathead
1960 BMW R60/2
1972 BMW R60/5

Owned in the past various bikes including a Ducati Pantah and a Laverda Jota
3potjohn

Re: Starter motor service and a battery question.....

Post by 3potjohn »

Battery:PC680 Odyssey will definately do the trick-mine was on the bike when I got in 2007 and still functions.. I've just put oil in untill it nearly comes out of the filler plug but I've had it dribble out a little.Not sure how much is actually suggested though.
best of luck John
Saltspringer

Post by Saltspringer »

Thank you John, off hand you don't happen to remember what oil you used, do you?

I know it has to be bronze-gear compatible, but what oil type to use is a bit of a mystery....

Cheers

Andy
Andy Higgs

1981 Moto Morini 500
1960 BMW R60/2
1972 BMW R60/5

3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The info in the blue book states SAE 70EP with Molykote A or colloidal graphite.. Think I just shook a tiny bit of Moly grease into some suitable oil ( might have been Syntrax but don't know if this is the best choice it's just what I have to hand) and squirted it in with a syringe.
Saltspringer

Post by Saltspringer »

Thank you John. I wondered about making up some magic potion as well, since I think I need about 25cc's and probably can only buy a 25 litre drum....
Cheers

A
Andy Higgs

1981 Moto Morini 500
1960 BMW R60/2
1972 BMW R60/5

hendre

Post by hendre »

Molykote A was the only thing in the days that could reduce the gear friction, Guzzi cardan also required Molykote A
I know from Guzzi owners that they now just use good quality gear oil in their cardan (80W90) without any Moly added. Would do the same for the starter motor gear box...