Grimeca Rear Brake Master - 1980 500S

Maestro, SEI-V
schrammel

Grimeca Rear Brake Master - 1980 500S

Post by schrammel »

Hello,
I am in the process of rebuilding a rear Grimeca master.
I replaced the o-ring (1st groove) and the U-cup (3rd groove, closest to spring) with the open/pressure side facing the spring.
My problem: after reassembling the master piston moves more or less freely and the spring pushes back the piston after manually compressing it.
After letting it sit for about 1h without moving it the piston appears to be stuck in the cylinder. I can hardly compress it anymore and need quite a bit of force to do so.
After being compressed the piston is stuck and the spring is not pushing it back.

Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?
Thank you!
Attachments
Morini 1980 rear master Grimeca.jpg
Morini 1980 rear master Grimeca.jpg (246.33 KiB) Viewed 8874 times
MickeyMoto

Re: Grimeca Rear Brake Master - 1980 500S

Post by MickeyMoto »

Have you filled it with fluid or is this before filling?
schrammel

Post by schrammel »

This is in a dry state, master not installed and without brake fluid, just applied a thin layer of brake grease on the o-ring and u-cup.
Manda

Post by Manda »

I know this is now old, but did you resolve the sticking problem when it had stood for a while.
I have just rebuilt a rear m/c in the same manner as you and am also getting binding, was wondering of the u-cup should be in the other groove.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Sounds exactly like the problem I just had on a K2 - everything suddenly went stiff (ooer) and when I disassembled it one of the seals had a small tear. After replacing the seals everything OK again, but I ALWAYS lubricate the new ones and the bore of the cylinder with clean brake fluid on reassembly.