New morini rider, just got his 500!

Maestro, SEI-V
JonathanPoll

New morini rider, just got his 500!

Post by JonathanPoll »

Hey all,

I recently acquired my father's old Morini 500 v-twin.
It hasn't run for at least 10 years, but the engine has been dismantled, as my father lent the bike to someone and that person must have slammed down the gear lever instead of the brake, one of the gear selector forks is slightly bent... the engine is completely dismantled.
Apart from the engine, the rest looks complete and in very good original condition. I haven't taken it out of the shed yet, as I donmt want another bike lying around until the engine is rebuilt!

The plan is to make it a perfectl reliable bike. I have loads of old bikes, I'm used to breakong down every so often, but I'm hoping the Morini will never let me down, as long as I give it proper maintenance!

Everything from the engine is dismantled. I can't afford to put new barrels and pustons on, luckily the old ones seem perfect anyway. I will obviously change the cam belt and gaskets.

For a perfectly reliable bike, is there anything I need to change? I've read that the original ignition systemas are pretty good. I like to keep things as original, but when needed I obviously prefer to have "wrong" but reliable parts.

Also, is there anything that is prone to wearing/breaking inside the engine, basically if there is any part I have to take extra care at putting back together or inspecting before rebuilding it.

I could possibly straighten my selector fork, the bike still ran but gear selection was tight. I prefer changing it. Would anyone happen to have a spare one? Not sure if they differ, it': a "N" reg (1974/1975) red 5 speed model with the clip ons.
JonathanPoll

Re: New morini rider, just got his 500!

Post by JonathanPoll »

Here is a picture of it, please excuse the mess!

JonathanPoll

Post by JonathanPoll »

Picture seems badly cropped, at least it looks it on the ipone screen... full pic here http://i.imgur.com/P0cZ4Tv.jpg
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Welcome to the club, and a happy New Year and new bike too. Looks to be the makings of a nice bike there. They aren't particularly weak in any one area (I think anyway) so just inspect carefully everything you have and I bet the majority of it is good to go back into service. As you have found selector damage already, just try to work out how and why it happened. If it was rider error ok, they don't normally bend easily. Check the blue book/manual about the adjustment of the gearchange mechanism. It needs centralising-but only if it has been disturbed. It may well not have been. The Ideal way to check is with a cutaway dummy crankcase, as in the manuals. Obviously most of us don't have a spare one of those but good dealers with Morini workshops (like our very own NLM in Leicestershire) can do this for you. You have to try pretty hard to really break a Morini V-twin so if you are used to much older bangers these will be a refreshing change. I hope so anyway :) Good luck with it and keep us informed of progress.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
penman

Post by penman »

Hi Jonathan,
I shall be watching your progress with interest because I'm re-commissioning a 5 speed 500 as well, no doubt you've seen some of my postings by now. I'm hoping to have it ready for MOT in about a month or so because it isn't registered in the UK yet, and from past experience, the registration process can take a few frustrating weeks to go through.

Good luck with it and if you hit any interesting problems, etc, do share them here, I for one will be more than interested!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I think I've got a complete 5 speed gearbox around somewhere. It's from a 250 single and so lacks the needle roller thrust bearings, but the selector drum and forks are the same I think and I'd be willing to let those go separately.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
JonathanPoll

Post by JonathanPoll »

Thanks guys!

I am definitely interested in the gear selector forks! If someone can confirm that they are the same, please let me know your desired prixe including postage to france!

Thank you :)
JonathanPoll

Post by JonathanPoll »

Hey guys,

I just sold a bike so I have a bit of spare cash to fix up the morini! EVguru I'm definitely interested in your parts, have you received my message?

Otherwise if anyone else has spare gear selector forks, please let me know, I'd like to fix my engine ASAP and actually become a Morini rider!
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Welcome aboard Jon

I'm currently trying fixing up a 500 too. Yours looks like a pretty sound machine to get motoring again. All the best with your efforts.

Cheers

Gary
JonathanPoll

Post by JonathanPoll »

Gary D wrote:Welcome aboard Jon

I'm currently trying fixing up a 500 too. Yours looks like a pretty sound machine to get motoring again. All the best with your efforts.

Cheers

Gary
THanks! The bike itself shouldn't need much work, of course I'll habe to check over brakes, tyres, etc... but it has been well stored, only got a bit of dust! Carbs are still mounted but they are wrapped in plastic bags to prevent dirt from coming in! Engine is dismantled to the very last bolt though...