500 shock measurements required

Maestro, SEI-V
IkonUSA

500 shock measurements required

Post by IkonUSA »

Greetings all,

Roger from iKon Suspension USA reaching out to the list for some tech on the standard shocks fitted to the 500s.

We're going to produce a run of shocks from the iKon factory in Australia to fit the Morini 500s. It's proving difficult to locate an original example here in the USA; America not being a large market for the 500, let alone the 3-1/2 models. We (iKon Suspension USA) had a stand at Mid-Ohio Vintage Days, the largest motorcycle Swap Meet/Autojumble in North America, where after 2 days of searching, I did find a very rough 500, only to find it had Showa shocks fitted at some point in the bike's obviously hard life, so no accurate shock absorber info to be gained there.

Could a list member assist us with specifications (i.e. measurements) from an ORIGINAL shock, plus any year by year/model changes for the 500 where the shock specification changed.

I need to know the following in mm please:

i) Center eye to center eye length of shock, removed from the bike.
ii) Outer diameter of spring
iii) Distance between center of lower eye to bottom of spring (for chain guard clearance)
iv) Diameter of spring wire
v) Diameter of shock's top and bottom mounting bolts
vi) Is there any off-set for the bottom eye or top eye?
vii) Clear pic

We will (in the USA) supply the finished product with a spring rate to suit the individual's curbside weight on a set by set basis. Price will be $420.00 (US) per pair and will have dial-a-ride 4 position adjustable rebound damping and 3 position pre-load for the main spring, fully re-buildable. Finish will be either chrome body/black spring or black body/black spring. Chrome springs available at an additional charge.
I should add at this point, that we are contractually bound with iKon (Australia) only to supply customers in the USA, Canada and South America. For supply to the UK / Europe, please contact your country's importer - Norman Hyde in the UK - after the shock is in production and available of course.

Thanks to the list members in advance; I hope you have no objection to my posting from a business but as I learned long ago, the best and most accurate information comes from an owner's group.

Best,
Roger
MarkB

Re: 500 shock measurements required

Post by MarkB »

Roger, you're very welcome to post here. The club's strapline is 'Keeping Morinis on the Road' and if you can help us do that with comfort and fine handling, we're all in favour. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide you with the information you need.

Kind regards

Mark
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, Had these on my 1979 500 5 speed

Koni Dial a Ride 7610-1303 9002
Spring 229
Length 32cm between the bush centres

Slightly shorter than the Marzocchi Stradas they replaced but I don't think they were the original shocks.
Straight fit with no clearance issues.
Were specified at the time (1996) for all 500 road Morinis; Sport/Strada, 5 or 6 speed.

Hope this helps, Ian

PS Let us know the specification/part numbers for the Ikon shocks when you get it all sorted.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I'm pretty sure the 500 used the same mounting bolt diameter (10mm) as the 350s or even 250 twins. I've seen reports of 500 ones being put on 350s. No offset as far as I know and the bush length is 20mm.

Unless someone knows different.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

No offset needed on my 500 Konis. Otherwise as comments above. Not got time to remove mine and measure them off the bike sorry
davidjlambert

Post by davidjlambert »

Hi Roger

At Cadwell, Stewart was less than impressed with my rear shocks at scrutineering, deficient damping! This is on my 500 1980 Sport.
As I managed to persuade Stewart that I wasn't quite up to Rossi's standard he allowed me out. I had previously got a pair of Hagons which I should have put on and which I fitted the following week.

This means that I have a pair of shocks sitting idly under the bench. I believe them to be original but better minds than mine can probably confirm from the picture.

Trust this assists.

The measurements are as follows:-
I) Centre eye to center eye length of shock, removed from the bike. 312mm
ii) Outer diameter of spring. 58mm

iii) Distance between center of lower eye to bottom of spring (for chain guard clearance) 70mm
iv) Diameter of spring wire 8.2mm
v) Diameter of shock's top and bottom mounting bolts 10mm
vi) Is there any off-set for the bottom eye or top eye? No
Attachments
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 19121 times
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

That looks like an original shock. I still have original shocks on my 500. I have contacted Ikon here in Oz; if they want to come to my place they can take their own measurements, or I might be able to take my shocks to them. I imagine that if they want to make replacement shocks for the 500, their own measurements would be best.
IkonUSA

Post by IkonUSA »

Hello David,

Thank you for the measurements and the time you've taken to research; this is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. If general consensus is that this is an OEM unit for a 500, I can liase with Geoff at Ikon in Australia to get the measurements translated into a final design. The issue of creating a replacement shock absorber is of course about precision measurements as iKon don't subscribe to the 'Universal fit' approach.

- Texaskitty - Geoff at iKon (Australia) told me you'd been in touch with him and as always, having a unit in hand is the most preferable way to ensure fitment. Thank you for your kind offer, I shall leave that to Geoff to coordinate with you.

So, having identified the unit in question, I'd like to consult the forum members with regards to fitment of models/years that this shock fits.

Appreciated,
Roger
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

I will look at some Morini 500 brochures and perhaps magazine road tests from the period to see if they indicate/suggest any difference in the rear shocks. They are not here where I live, but in a day or so I will have a look at them ...
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

My Morini sales brochures mostly cover the various 500 road bike models that were made from about 1979 to the mid 1980s but the brochures don't reveal much about the rear shock absorbers used. However, I would be surprised if there was any substantive difference in the shocks used. I don't think there would have been any change to the rear of the frame or the swinging arm over the production run. There was a change to the front frame tubes at one point, bringing them closer to the engine; I can't think of any other change. The first 500 had chrome springs, black adjustment rings/collars and perhaps a polished alloy body (?). Subsequent models had black or red springs, black adj. rings/collars and a grey-painted body. The last model produced, as far as I am aware, had a totally different tank and body panels but it was just a cosmetic make-over and the frame was almost certainly the same as previous models.

When I can, I will look at some magazine road tests from the period to see if they give any more information.
IkonUSA

Post by IkonUSA »

Thanks to Texaskitty for your well researched reply.
From my own research, I'm concluding that the shocks remained the same dimensionally (cosmetic changes aside) throughout the production period of the 500 Street bikes.
Information supplied by the forum is now with design at iKon (Australia) and is currently being worked on. There's a considerable amount of work goes into the pre-production of a new fitment shock. Although I don't have notification of a production date and allocated part number yet, I will notify the forum when this information becomes available, which will no doubt be sooner rather than later along with price and availability.
A tip of the puddin' basin helmet to contributors and interest in this project generated from forum members.
Thank you.
Roger
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

For what these measurements are worth (they might not be 100% accurate): centre of eye to centre of eye with original shock absorber off the bike 312mm; centre of bottom eye to bottom of spring/top of adjustment ring/collar with ring/collar on lowest setting: 72 or 73mm. The mounting bolts do have the same diameter as those for the Morini 350.