Marzocchi rear shock servicing

Maestro, SEI-V
Gary D

Marzocchi rear shock servicing

Post by Gary D »

Hi

I could use some help with refurbishing the rear suspension on my Sport please. Can my Marzocchi rear shocks be serviced? Does anyone know if the seals are available & if so, where can I find the spares? Does anyone know the correct grade of damping fluid?

Lastly, has anyone stripped the black coating off the springs & refinished them? Are replacement springs available? I'd appreciate any help on how to go about all of this?

Many thanks,

Gary
texaskitty

Re: Marzocchi rear shock servicing

Post by texaskitty »

Years ago I rebuilt the shocks on my 1980 500. It wasn't too difficult. There was no need to worry about butchering the top alloy nut (with inbuilt seal, I think) on removal because the rebuild kit came with a new nut. (Early 350 shock rebuild kits did not include a new nut.) I remember when I removed the nut, it looked like the factory had used a bit of sealant on the o-ring of the nut so when I screwed on the new nut, I used a small amount of silicon on the new o-ring. You probably need to be pretty careful with the amount of sealant used as you wouldn't want excess sealant getting into the body of the shock.

Today I looked for an article that I wrote on the rebuild but I couldn't find it. I don't know if the rebuild kit is still available, and I have never tried to remove the black coating on the springs.
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

A couple or years ago I rebuilt 2 pairs of Marzocchi Strada shocks, the ones with the piggy back air/oil reservoir.
Some of this info may be of help…

I had the springs and bodies blasted and powder coated.

Rebuild kits were available for a variety of Marzocchi shocks but since the company was closed down and the motorcycle suspension business was bought by an Italian components manufacturer I’m not sure kits are being made any longer.

I bought my AG Strada rebuild kits from here:
http://marzocchimoto.blogspot.co.uk/p/a ... t-now.html

But the site says kits are no longer available.

This Italian site lists lots of kits but no indication of availability:
http://www.suspensionzana.com/index.php ... Itemid=114

According to the manual for the Strada, the fluid to use is “Special Oil Marzocchi SAE 5”. I used SAE 5 Fork oil.
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG (476.51 KiB) Viewed 26162 times
Cheers,
Robin
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Robin

This is great information, thank you. I'll try to contact these guys & will let you know how I get on. Did the powder coating hold up OK in practice? Many thanks fo rtaking the time to pass on your experience. It's not been an easy one to sort, but I do like the look of the Marzocchi's & hope to save them.

Best regards

Gary
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

Hi Gary,

The powder coating has held up well, I've got one pair on my 31/2 and the other on my 500, kind of period upgrades of the day...

Cheers,
Robin
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Robin

Thanks for that my friend. I appear to be on the trail of a genuine seal set & my mind is now turning to which spring clamps are the best for the job? The Sealeys are dear, look the part...but like all clamps, seem to divide opinion? Does anyone have experience of good clamps please?

Thanks all!

Gary