Running In

Maestro, SEI-V
morini_tom

Running In

Post by morini_tom »

I don't want to make anyone here feel old but I wasn't really around when morini engines were brand spanking new. I've run-in my fair share of rebuilt morini engines but the 501 i have just put in the dart has only 500 miles on it since new...

So, what's the general consensus with running in from brand new as opposed to a rebuilt oldie? the morini book says 1500km up to 6000rpm and then another 1500 up to 6800, slowly building the revs after then. That's an awful lot of miles!

I've rebuilt the engine with a stator side roller main bearing and it's a nikasil bore jobbie so that should speed things up a bit. So far I've done 700km on cheap oil and have just done the first service and put decent oil in.

I'm quite proud of the way this engine went back together and would rather keep it in one lump for a few more years! But equally I know that in a months time I will be at cadwell, so I'd like to at least give it a fighting chance with a half decent run-in...
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I slightly seized my 350 at 5500 rpm after a steady 2-3 mile climb, after new top end, though it had previously gone non stop,well more or less,the gear lever fell off at Yeovil, 180 miles a few weeks earlier and had been on trips out at every opportunity. I think I'd done at least 750 miles.Started up again gingerly and rode home. More money down the drain.
The only other time I seized a bike was in 1975 on a C15,again with new top end. Still-it got the high points off the piston and if there is any blow by you can always centre-punch round the tops!
So I would do some more miles. A quick trip up to Dent and back should do it.It's all down hill on the way back.
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

Whatever happened to "running in" new engines? I bought a new motorbike a few years ago, which was the first brand new engine that I had ever owned. I was looking forward to running it in and was dissapointed when there was no mention of it in the owners manual. I also had a brand new car after that and again there was no mention of it.
I raced my 350 Morini for a few years and in all that time never heard of anybody running in a newly built race engine. What about brand new motocross bikes etc? I think a couple of easy laps were recommended!
I think it may be something that was thought to be required many years ago and stuck, but it really isn't necessary now.
The only thing I have heard mentioned recently is to not use a fully synthetic oil for the first few hundred miles so that the bores don't get too polished and can't retain a film of oil.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Tom;

You're doing a lot of running in then (!)

I guess that the main issue is to vary the load on the engine - which is bound to happen at Cadwell? Tightening the engine bolts to the required torque is the other "must do" job, which may not have been done if the engine has never been used.

Modern car engines may not make mention of running in, but the new Lambertini engines certainly still seem to benefit from a gentler use of throttle for the first so many miles...

Have fun at Cadwell,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"