White wire from stator and other issues.

Maestro, SEI-V
jeanster

White wire from stator and other issues.

Post by jeanster »

Putting together a long overdue project. Had stator rewound and rotor re-magnetised but unsure what if anything I need to do with the white wire coming from the stator. It seems to be (is) common to earth. Looking at wiring diagrams I assume I should use the later model diagram but bike has NLM pickups etc which has no place for this connection. Also top right two connections on fuse-box appear common on old and new wiring diagrams but not on the bike I'm putting together. At present I have no spark (taking green wire direct to NLM system as per their drawing). As I can't see how the white being common to earth could work with old or new wiring diagrams I'm beginning to lose my sanity. Is there a fault in the NLM system? Has my stator been rewound incorrectly? Is my fuse-box faulty as it doesn't align with the drawings? Any suggestions gratefully received (even if it's just a good psychiatrist). Are there any electrical drawings as opposed to wiring diagrams?

Thanks in anticipation.
'It must be a .....'

Re: White wire from stator and other issues.

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, the white wire from the stator is a dedicated earth for the ignition system and links to the transducers; some electric start bikes (later?) also have this earth circuit linked via the fuse box (using another white wire) to the upper rear engine mount.
The green wire is to switch the ignition off/on by a connection to earth; it is off when connected to earth.
This is all based on the standard system.
I have no direct experience of the NLM system but understand the pickup can be difficult to set up correctly?

Hope this helps? good luck
jeanster

Re: White wire from stator and other issues.

Post by jeanster »

The NLM system has earths connected at the ignition coils and there isn't much to setting up other than set clearance between rotor arm and pick-ups. For that matter the original system had earth connections at the transducers too. Can't see what running wiring from the stator, which is already earthed by its mounting, to the fuse-box and up to the transducers achieved. Also according to the wiring diagram it was connected to a "common" terminal at the fuse-box although on my fuse-box this terminal isn't "common". I still have the original transducers but for the life of me I can't find the original red pick-up. Would still like to see an electrical schematic.
Thanks for your reply tho.