Frame question

Maestro, SEI-V
JohnChell

Frame question

Post by JohnChell »

Are the frames for the 1982 500 SEI and the 1982 500W exactly the same?

I know the styling of the bikes is different, but If I try to fit Sei parts, like the battery carrier, side panels, tail piece etc directly onto a standard W frame will I find that the mounting points, brackets, battery carrier etc are different?

I have a SEI which needs work and is registered on a q plate, and have been offered a W frame from the same year with a UK log book. I'm told its going to be very difficult to lose the long standing Q registration from the SEI, but if the W could be built up using parts the parts from the SEI the finished bike would to all intents and purposes be a 1982 500 sei with a 1982 registration.

Provided that is the frames are identical and all parts will swop between the two frames.

Any comments appreciated, thanks
'It must be a .....'

Re: Frame question

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I don't think you will have any problems as long as they both have the gear change on the right and there should be no issues with the other cycle parts.
If the swap was to an early frame you would also need the longer front engine plates to suit the straight down tubes.
NB US bikes had a different set up (frame?) to swap the the gear change and brake over.

Hope this helps, take care, Ian
'It must be a .....'

Hi again, Just read your Who's owned my bike? post
I also think as it is the last of the 500 road bikes it will be later than 82?

Getting back to your original question as I didn't know it was a late 500; although the most parts will fit straight on the 500W frame there might be problems with the side panels, seat, rear light etc as the subframe may be different in detail?
The tank, engine, forks, airbox, wheels etc will certainly fit.
Am I right in thinking your late 500 has a left gear change?

Again hope this helps, Ian

PS I could send you detailed photos of a 500W frame, if you send me a PM; I've given up attempting to upload photos to the forum!
JohnChell

Post by JohnChell »

hi

I cant work out how to attach pictures to a PM, but have managed to upload them to the forum.
Attachments
500 frame1.jpg
500 frame1.jpg (495.17 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
'It must be a .....'

As this is the frame you wish to buy? It should be easy to compare the details with the Q reg frame of your bike.

Have fun and take care, Ian
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

They are both the same. I had an '84 with the gear change on the correct 'world' side, only the K2's which I also had, were forced to change to the Harley Davidson side.