led headlight upgrade.

Maestro, SEI-V
Sicxtyone

led headlight upgrade.

Post by Sicxtyone »

Just fitted a P Goff H4 LED shallow reflector unit and daylighter led bulb, on offer for £62-95.
The original was well past being serviceable being rusty and silvering peeling off.
Tidied up the wiring in there and being a shallow unit fitted easily, you will need a pack of w clips Goff has these.
The bulb is adjustable to get the beam right and the lens is quadoptic so that must be good!
The beam patterns are good and solid.
Goff says light output is more than 55/60 watt but of course uses a lot less power.
I think a worthy addition, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Sixtyone.
hendre

Re: led headlight upgrade.

Post by hendre »

do you have a link to the product?
hendre

Post by hendre »

harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Are you aware that LED replacement head lamp bulbs are not legal? You have to have the whole headlamp if you want one, the same goes for the searchlight high intensity lamps high voltage its that lump heads fit to their glob boxes, you know the sort, they have there heads on back to front.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

harrymuffin wrote:Are you aware that LED replacement head lamp bulbs are not legal? You have to have the whole headlamp if you want one, the same goes for the searchlight high intensity lamps high voltage its that lump heads fit to their glob boxes, you know the sort, they have there heads on back to front.
Does "P Goff H4 LED shallow reflector unit" count as changing the headlamp?
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I picked up the latest copy of 'CAR MECHANICS" at the Classic Car Show, they also had a few mangy motorbikes there too, in which there is a lengthy article on the evolution of vehicle lighting.When it comes to LED lamps ' As there are no road legal Light Emitting Diode replacement bulbs, certain newer cars with LED lighting HAVE SEALED LAMP UNITS', the road traffic construction lighting regulations also apply to motorcycles. Regarding HID upgrades, the type that blind you, these are banned and and will fail the MoT if fitted. It also goes on to iterate that fitting HID and LED in halogen lamps holders should be impossible to prevent accidental fitting, and although you can get HID/LED conversion bulbs they are illegal to sell, owing to safety standards. If you look in the small print you may find a get out clause, that they are not legal for road use.
I must admit that I have fitted 100/55w bulbs in the Morini which are not road legal, but managed to get hold of a Cibie unit which allows same progress in the dark as in the daytime. Essentially, if you cannot see where you are going with a road legal H4 60/55w headlamp, then perhaps you should slow down or see an optician.
No idea about the reflector and LED bulb conversion, but if fitting, then get a written confirmation that they conform to the road construction regulations and do not blind anyone coming in the opposite direction, you never know you may have dazzled a police car and that could mean 3 points on your licence.
penman

Post by penman »

Interesting thread! I wasn’t aware that LED headlamp bulbs were illegal and I must admit that I assumed they were OK so long as they met the MOT requirements. I fitted the Paul Goff LED bulb and went along to the MOT with a normal halogen bulb up my sleeve. I asked the guy to be as critical as he liked and if he wasn’t happy, I would just plug in the normal bulb. After studying the beam pattern with his box of tricks, he declared the beam pattern to be better than a normal bulb and he was happy to issue an MOT pass. On the basis of that, I’ve used it for the past year or so and I’m very happy with it. It’s nice and bright, it doesn’t dazzle and the dip beam illuminates well over to the left as well as in front.

I’m not sure what to do now, clearly I want a legal headlamp, but I’ve got used to this nice bright light!
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I hope it lasts longer than some of Mr Goff's other LED lighting products Ive bought...