500 back on the road.

Maestro, SEI-V
acemorini

500 back on the road.

Post by acemorini »

Hello all, my 500 W passed its mot today and is officially back on the road after spending 27 years sat in a shed. The trip to the testing station and back showed up a few little bits and pieces that need sorting out, but one bike back on the road for the summer.
Regards Pete.
Sicxtyone

Re: 500 back on the road.

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Pete
That’s great news, seems like there is always something to do on a classic bike.
I will be interested to share notes at some point.
Regards
Graham
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham, I see that you are not that far away from, be nice to meet up when the weather improves a bit.
Regards Pete.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hi Pete,

Maybe another south east meetup?
jb666

Post by jb666 »

I like the sound of this - perhaps I'll manage to arrive on a bike this time!!
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Evening all,
Some kind of informal meet up sounds good. The Six Bells Chiddingly maybe, I know they are motorcycle friendly.
Any one been to the Lightning Quarter Garage in Rudgewick near Horsham. The have an open two hours the first Saturday of the month, between 10 am and noon. Same day as the Corsaro section meeting just up the road, maybe do the two?
Weather permitting I may go on the 2nd Feb.
Regards
Graham.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham, the six bells at chiddingly is just down the road from me, I don’t know the lightning quarter in Horsham, but that’s not a bad run out from here. I normally work most weekends but at the moment the 2nd Febuary is free, I will ask Steve P when I see him and ask if he is up for it. Sounds like a plan another South East Meet up.
Regards Pete.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Pete,
I had a couple of hours free yesterday so had a ride up to lightningquartergarage.com. Had a half hour chat with Neil a co owner, interesting guy who has worked in the bike trade and raced on and off road. Got a picture in the office of him getting air time at Cadwell.
Had a good ride generally but got 100 yards from home and the bike cut out and would not restart. So off to the garage we go!
Regards
Graham
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham, I have had a few cut outs and no restarts with my 500, got 200 ft down the road on to the Nasty bend bit that’s blind to approaching traffic and the woodruff key sheared, nice. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Regards Pete.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Back out on the 500 today, couple of hours free this afternoon, did about 30 miles no problems carbs still not right all going well through as I headed back home I thought best fill up the bike, went to the petrol station filled up and would the bike start no way luckily not far from home so van rescue it was, back to the shed next week sort out the last east problem.
The most surprising thing I found was how different the 500 is over the 350.
Regards Pete.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Is that different in a good way Pete? Please explain a bit further.
I'm sure you will get over your teething troubles soon.
ATB
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

When I initially got my 500 On the road it was running really rich at low speeds i.e. Tick over. So much so that on a cold start use of the choke was not needed.
No amount of carb tuning made any difference. So decided to investigate the air box.
It was nasty in there, so gave it and the carb/air box rubbers :?: a good clean. It was like a covering of oily soot.
The filters looked clean but gave them a clean with muc-off. They were also dirty.
Now the starting and low speeds are what I'd say is more normal.
I expect you have gone through this on yours Pete, but just a thought.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I think that mine is fuel flow, when I got the bike the fuel tank was very poor internally, I did think at one time I might not be able to save it but after several acid flushers I seem to be getting there, the main problem yesterday was that I probably let the fuel level get to low and the tank filters are probably clogged.
Regards Pete.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Yes sounds familiar, mine had a lot of rust in the tank so ended up using a tank lining product.
Also found that fuel pipe length needed to be as short as possible to get a good flow.
Graham
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I don’t really like tank lining products as I have had loads of trouble with them in the past. I will try and flush the tank out this week and give it another go.
Regards Pete.