Gearbox problem?

Maestro, SEI-V
acemorini

Gearbox problem?

Post by acemorini »

Hello All,
out on the old 500 yesterday everything going well a part from it was very cold, did about 25/30 miles came up to junction started to change down the gearbox got to second and there felt like there was nothing there, the lever would not go through neutral or go into first gear, stoped at the junction still would not change down, so pulled off slipping the clutch a bit in second. The bike did this a few more times before I got home.
When back out on it to day and did about10/15 miles but no reoccurrence of yesterday problem, ok l only did about half the distance of yesterday, so the engine was not as hot ( but a warmer day today ) so probably not much in the engine temperature, just seems odd to me.
Regards Pete.
Sicxtyone

Re: Gearbox problem?

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Pete,
Had a similar thing with my 500 when I first got it the previous keeper had put tarozzi rear sets on, but hadn't paid much attention to the positioning of the rod/linkage. On mine the rod was interfering with the bottom of the right hand casing, causing selection problems but not in all the gears (weirdly). Can't remember if you have rear sets on yours or even the semi rear sets with the linkage but if you have, may be worth checking in this area?
Graham
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham,
Thanks for that, just been out and had a look, no that’s not the problem on mine, but I went to pull the clutch in and could hardly move the leaver, so maybe a clutch problem not gearbox, hopefully have some time next week to pull it all apart.
Regards Pete.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Pete,
Maybe check the cable first and the 15 mm clearance at the end of the cable/lever point. If the clutch isn't disengaged properly the shift from second thru neutral can be notchy to say the least!
Good luck
G
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Hello - if it does have the Tarozzi rear sets on, the knurled silver ring near the pedal has a tendency to loosen and can then cause issues like this - just worth a check although it sounds like this isn't the case here due to what you say about the lever - thanks - Duncan
dunk
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Duncan, no rear sets fitted, the more I think about it must be the clutch or clutch cable, hopefully I will have some spare time this week to investigate.
Regards Pete.
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Update on the gear change problem. Out to day first decent run of the year, and first run after cleaning out the clutch, clutch cable checking the clutch centre nut and everything else, did 40 miles and the bike will not change down gear, bugger pulled into a lay-by and had a look to see if there was anything blatantly obvious, which there was not, for some reason I wiggled the gear change leaver and it was solid no movement at all, normally it’s quite loose, luckily there was a cafe near by so had something to eat, went back to the bike which was quite cold now gear-lever rattling around as normal.
The conclusion is the shaft that’s welded to the frame that carried the back brake lever was full of road grime and salt, when the bike got very after run for some time the fame gets hot and expanded the shaft enough to bind up the leaver, cleaned it all up and greased it, went back out, did 60 miles no further problem.
Regards Pete.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Don`t you just love it when you figure out a problem that doesn't cost much to fix. Well done.