Bringing my 500 back to life

Maestro, SEI-V
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Bringing my 500 back to life

Post by SteveMRC »

Going to the recent AGM in the car (again) shamed me into doing something to get my 500 road legal again. It has been in a corner of the garage for just over 4 years.

The site hosting package comes with a free blog so I thought I would use it to try and document what I need to do to the bike.

This link should get you to the first page.
Jem

Post by Jem »

So that's why we haven't seen you recently - too ashamed to show your face!

What you need to do is take lots of photos & make notes then you can write up a piece for ATG and add to the club's workshop manual...
jeanster

Post by jeanster »

Looking at picture on your blog (looks OK for 4 years neglect) I see you have rearsets. Does the kickstart pass the brake pedal OK? I'd be interested in the design as mine doesn't despite having the extension block fitted.

Rgds.,
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I was lucky that my bike came ready fitted with the later style kickstart as fitted to the 350 K2 bikes. It pivots outwards and clears the brake pedal. No extra mods were needed.

Once in a while it used to tuck in under the engine at the bottom of the kick and it caught under the exhaust heat shield and bent the shield. That's why I made the shorter stainless heat shield. It also had a hairline crack in it that I had welded. You can see the silver paint I used to cover the weld in the second photo on the part of the lever nearest the shield.

3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Ah ha!I too have a kickstart like this on a K1. I will aim to get rearsets at some stage, though I am more worried about my left knee being bent further,( it's my most painful joint. Isn't getting older wonderful)having ridden my neighbour's Ducati for a while. Main reason is the existing Brunellian gearchange lever cannot be a good thing and I have been suspicious of that pivot bolt ever since it all but fell out near Yeovil.
Now that it has come back from being re-chromed I can detect a slight hairline crack as well. I have refurbished the coffee grinder however so it does start on the button.