LH downpipe fouling brake linkage

Maestro, SEI-V
ringer

LH downpipe fouling brake linkage

Post by ringer »

Have just bought my bike so am still familiarising myself with it and 'fettling'. I noticed that the LH (rear cylinder) exhaust downpipe was fouling the rear brake linkage. I loosened the silencer and extended the fitting on the balance pipe and re-tightened the fixings. This was fine and the linkage was free and didn't foul anymore, but after a short run, the downpipe was again fouling the brake linkage. The only way I found I could permanently leave the linkage free was to fix the LH silencer mounting bracket on the outside of the frame - previously it was on the inside. I believe that the silencer is a NLM stainless item - no idea if the bracket came with it or if it is an original item. This configuration makes the silencer stick out more on the left than the right.

Is this how it needs to be? I am considering modifying the bracket so I can re-fix it behind the frame. Photo below shows bracket fixed on outside of frame.

Image[/img]
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Just checked mine and the right hand side plate was behind the frame, the left hand one in front. :?

I have just moved the right hand one to be in front of the frame as the silencer was very, very close to the wheel nut/spindle.
Your bracket is the same as mine, ie standard.

Do you have standard footrests or rear-sets ?
With my rear-sets the brake lever just touches the down pipe at the limit of its travel.
ringer

Post by ringer »

I have standard footrests, but very high handlebars so riding position not too bad. Did get blown about a bit today though! Will consider fitting rearsets at a later date. Have more pressing jobs to attend to first, such as trying to remove the clutch when one of the clutch spring studs has come loose.